HOLYCRAP: the Pioneer DV-747 has an internal DSD CHIP!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Scott Rickards, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

I think this player might be as close as we have seen to the HOLY GRAIL of DVD players:
    [​IMG]
    Unlike the Pioneer AX-10 which converted the DSD signal to PCM, the 747 has an actual DSD Chip!!! (the very first unit not made by Marantz/Phillips/Sony or a rebaged clone to include it)
    More pix can be found here:http://www.annees-laser.com/test_matos.php3?who=1&id=33
    Apperently, while the 747 does apply bass mgt to DVD Audio it does not while playing SACDs (stereo or multichannel)
    Here is the thread over at avsforums.com where I found the pix
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=103514
    Also, check out this quote about the 747A's Cirrus Logic chips by dahester at avsforums:

2. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I want this box. When is it hitting the US?

I guess we'll find out next week at CES.

Ryan

3. Kelly Scott Rickards

Yeah, we should see a Pioneer Elite DV47A at CES, perhaps?
    Also, check THIS out:

4. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

So what do you think, about $1300 for this puppy? (It's going for 899 pounds in the UK.)

Ryan

5. Kelly Scott Rickards

More info and pix on the euro DV-747A version:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=16822

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I Gotta have one..... [​IMG]

7. Kelly Scott Rickards

You know you want one [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yet more info:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...661#post708661

8. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I would venture to say that the Sony chip is used only to access the data from the disc.... This is part of the content protection package.
    The Crystal CS4392 (as reported earlier) can handle natively DSD or PCM. I've been talking about this DAC for some time as being the basis for a universal digital transport.
    With respect to "insignificant chroma bug", that's in the eye of the viewer. Some are highly sensitive to it, others never notice it. It is a function of many things, but the larger your display, the worse it can be. Time will tell if it has this bug or not. If they have it hooked up at CES, then some very knowledgable folks will know about that pretty quickly [​IMG] If Pioneer does deliver without the bug, it'll be their first player without it.
    The other item is the deinterlacing -- if it's the same deinterlacing engine that's in their HD sets it'll be pretty good, but not the best on the planet.
    Regards,

9. Kelly Scott Rickards

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John,

Are you saying that the DSD chip could simply be used to grab the DSD bitstream off an SACD, but that bitstream could still be converted to PCM? I'm not sure where you were going with your point there. The individual from AVS Forum that Kelly quoted said there is no PCM conversion. The Pioneer unit still looks to be a sweet machine, but it is true that Pioneer has yet to produce a chroma bug-free player.

Kelly,

It figures that Toshiba is coming out with a replacement for the SD-9200. The price of the '9200 has dropped down to $720 at OneCall and $800 at Tweeter. I knew something had to be coming as a replacement.

11. John Kotches

KeithH:

There are aspects of the Content Protection for SACD that reside in the TOC that require some special tools. I think the Sony DSD chip is the tools that provides the ability to read the TOC.

Then you read the bits off the platter, and pass them to the DAC. The CS4392 would do the D/A conversion, not the Sony chip, in native DSD mode.

I'm still doing research for an article on DSD/SACD technology and this is one of those items on the list (Content Protection).

Regards,

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, thanks for the info. The issue of the Sony DAC reading the TOC and identifying the disc as an SACD makes sense. Sounds good as long as the Pioneer unit does not perform DSD to PCM conversion.

13. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    The following is a breakdown of prices according the Pioneer press release from the Japanese site that Kelly provided earlier. These conversions were done as of todays rates so take into account that they may be a little off MSRP.

Product YenUS $
    Pioneer DV-74799,800761.77
    Pioneer DV-64662,000473.22
    Denon VSA - AX10420,0003,205.64 (fancy remote)
    Denon VSA - AX8290,0002,213.42

Another thing that I found very interesting was that the new Denon reciever will contain

14. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

super sweet!!! i've been eyeballing this player for the last few weeks searching for info on whether is converts dsd to pcm. if it doesn't, demand for this machine could be enormous. i'm definitely ear-marking funds for this baby once it makes it's us release assuming there as no problems and it plays true sacd (not pcm converted sacd).

kevin t

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, thanks for posting this info., but I highly doubt the US version of the Pioneer DV-747A will sell for anywhere near $761 USD. I know your numbers were calculated from today's exchange rate. As an Elite component over here, my guess is that it will easily sell for over $1000 USD and possibly for more than the Elite DV-38A progressive-scan DVD-Audio player, which sells for $1500 USD. It obviously depends on how Pioneer is positioning this component. Not all Elite components are of the flagship variety.

16. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Yup, I've had my eyes on this one since late Nov but has yet to hear more about it esp WRT it's bass management as well as other preamp features for I would like to hook this babe straight up to my amp(s) to bypass all unnecessary processing at least for SACD/DVD-A if at all possible.

PF

17. John Kotches

You know, that Sony DSD chip could provide bass management for the DSD bitstream now that I think about it some more.

Damn you guys for making me think ;-)

Regards,

18. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    I'll be eyeballing one of these players also...as soon as my CES pipeline gets the info for me.

Eric.

19. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

This is great news!
    We need combo SACD/DVDA players since most receivers have only one 6 channel input area.
    It would make connections much easier.
    JohnG[​IMG]

20. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Unfortunetly I agree with you Keith. I will be absolutely shocked if these players come in at under $1000. And if they are as good as their specs are then they might be well worth their weight in gold. Hopefully we will get some more info, not just a bunch of rumors, out of CES.