Holy Grails of LD/DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by alan halvorson, Jan 10, 2002.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I was fortunate this last weekend to find an excellent copy of The Lubitsch Touch LD box set for an obscene price ($19.99! The last one went for $584 on Ebay - I bid something over $200 and was immediately blown away). For those who don't know, this is a box set of seven Lubitsch directed films. I recall one seller, many months ago, of this set claim that only 300 were produced. I don't know if this is true, but it does seem to be extraordinarily rare.
    This was one of my Holy Grails of LD. By this I mean that not only does a title command a high price (when auctioned), but it is so rare that even if one is willing to pay the price, there's is rarely a copy to bid on - you may be forced to wait months for the next one, if ever one appears at all.
    Now, some people would say that Song of the South is a Holy Grail, but really, it isn't. It does get pretty good bucks but there are always copies available to bid on. Same for Criterion's Salo and 400 Blows dvds - yes, they're expensive but they're always available, and they have LD counterparts at a much lower cost.
    So, I'd like to compile a list of Holy Grails in LD and DVD. Perhaps another opportunity like the above will present itself and I'd like to be able to recognize it. The few I can think of at the moment, in LD, are:
    • The Lubitsch Touch
    • Zulu Dawn
    • Sweeney Todd
    • Song of the South (Hong Kong version. This was only available as a rental)
    In DVD, all I'm aware of is An Evening of Yes Music, but there must be some others.
    Any more?

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I think the Little Shop of Horrors dvd with the alternate ending would qualify. Probably some of the out-of-print Criterions.

As for Song of the South, an non-pal version without burnt-in subtitles on something more durable than vhs would certainly qualify (does such a thing even exist?)

3. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Ridley Scott's Legend on DVD [​IMG]

4. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Disney's "Make Mine Music" and "Melody Time" on LD.

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

This is Spinal Tap Criterion Collection

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Stunt Coordinator

7. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

8. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    For me, there is the elusive CAV editions of the Sean Connery Bond films with the unflattering commentary that were pulled from stores.
    I'm not sure if it's all that rare but the unedited CAV edition of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? comes to mind.

9. alan halvorson

Not that elusive, Jasen - in fact, I have an all three and an extra copy of Criterion's From Russia With Love lying around, if interested.

The Best of Roger Rabbit has become awfully rare the last several months.

10. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

I have all three Criterion Bond films and it really wasn't the commentary tracks so much in the end, I think but rather Bruce Eder's slam at Roger Moore in the Goldfinger liner notes for the CAV edition that irked Albert Broccoli in the end. I was fortunate to get Dr. No and From Russia With Love when they first came out and got Goldfinger for just under $100 I think a couple years ago.

11. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

Mario Bava's DANGER: DIABOLIK on LD is quite rare. I'm told that only a couple of hundred were pressed.
    And I have one.[​IMG]

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

13. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

-------

Mario Bava's DANGER: DIABOLIK on LD is quite rare. I'm told that only a couple of hundred were pressed.

-------

My wait was so long, that I must have gotten copy 199/200..(new)

14. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Damn, if I had known about the ld of the Bond films. Do you guys mean just the Criterion version or does that include the MGM Ld versions as well.

I remember seeing almost all the MGM Ld versions for sale at used cd/dvd store here T.O.

And they were dirt cheap. I didn't bother with them because I just finished buying all 3 dvd boxsets.

Double Damn!

15. alan halvorson

Criterion 2-disc all-CAV only, Luis.

16. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

17. alan halvorson

George: There is a Hong Kong version of Song of the South that doesn't have Japanese subtitles, or any subtitles for that matter. It has a different jacket and there's something different about the beginning but I don't recall what. This was only available as a rental. The only two I've ever seen auctioned both went for just over $1,000!

18. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

19. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Best of Roger Rabbit and THX-WOW (which I picked up used for -- yes -- $9 at a record store).

I'd love to find a reasonably priced version of Criterion's "Repulsion," which I'm kind of shocked hasn't been ported to DVD by the company (a crappy public-domain version has surfaced, however).

Image's "Burn Witch Burn" with the Richard Matheson audio commentary is hard to find as well.

20. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

mark you won't beleive this,but i saw the Crtierion Repuslion LD at a store for $10-$15!........was thinking of getting it,but didn't have enough $$ as i already got a couple other things & last time i was there,didn't notice it,so it may be gone,i'll have to check.