Holy Grail: SE Petition...sign it, and spread the news!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian York, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Brian York

Brian York Stunt Coordinator

(For any of you not yet aware, there are significant basic problems with the current DVD release of Monty Python and the Holy Grail: SE, which you can read about here)
    Since Sony/CTHE only made a half-hearted effort to correct the situation, I've scanned through the threads on this, and created a petition that demands the items that we've come up with.
    Tell all your friends, and send news of the petition to any/all Python/DVD/Cinema contacts you think of. The only way this petition is going to get ANY additional action out of Sony/CTHE is if it causes bad publicity for them.
    http://www.PetitionOnline.com/bayork1/petition.html

2. Glennica

Glennica Agent

PLEASE SIGN!

It is shocking that a studio would care so little for it's customers. Please help us send them a message.

3. JamesCS

JamesCS Stunt Coordinator

Done.
    [​IMG]

4. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

In what way must consumers "pay Sony again" to get a corrected copy? It cost me a buck or two to ship mine back via First Class mail, but that money went to the Post Office, not Sony.

Agree on the other points, though. This should be a recall situation, not a swap-if-they-gripe situation.

Ryan

5. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

The bit about "paying twice" is really inaccurate. It implies that you are buying the disc full price again, that is, sending $15+ to CTHE to get the corrected version on top of paying for the disc originally. I don't know how the petitioner sent his copy back but it cost me about a buck and a two week wait. That's not entirely unreasonable.

To further this, I did not pay CTHE anything to get the defective copy replaced. I sent it back, they sent me a new one. CTHE actually loses out more on the deal as they send the discs back via UPS.

I agree that CTHE is doing a disservice by not recalling the defective DVDs but let's keep things accurate.

And, just as a side comment here, does anyone think these online petitions are getting to be a little too much? There's a petition for everything these days.

-paul

6. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I have to agree with Paul D G here-- I sent my copy in to Sony in the middle of November and had the corrected copy back to me by the first of December. Yeah, it cost a couple bucks to mail it in, but I got it back very quickly.

People craft petitions for just about anything they can think of these days-- their effectiveness, so great during the "Willy Wonka" stand last summer, is becoming increasingly ineffective.

As for this issue, I'm not signing. Sony should recall what's out there and be more forthcoming about the exchange, but I'm happy with my situation.

7. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

I'm convinced that sony just doesn't get this subtitling thingie. I rented "Brother" a few days ago. The film is set in america but a substantial part of the dialogue is in Japanese. Well, you get subtitles throughout the entire film, even when the conversations are entirely in English.

8. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

9. Brian York

OK, my bad...in the heat of composing this petition, I got carried away with making all the possible bad points about the first pressing of the disc.
    I've sent a request to the administrators at petiiononline to change the phrase:
    "must pay Sony/CTHE again to get the "corrected" version of the disc"
    so that it will now read
    "must send the disc at their cost to Sony/CTHE to get the "corrected" version of the disc"
    Hopefully, they can accommodate this change.

10. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

This really sucks. Should I just send my defective copy to Columbia now so I can get the subtitle problem fixed, or should I wait until they fix the Swedish subtitle as well?

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Any new word on the "correction" working with Toshiba players? Last I heard, the subtitles still persisted, when playing on Toshibas.

12. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Signed.

13. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    Done @ #214

14. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Signed.
    217 not bad [​IMG]
    I am in the same situation. I don't know if I should send back my copy now because if there is no hope in getting the first swedesh subtitle back then I want to get it taken care of as soon as possible. But I also have a toshiba so there is no gurantee that it's going to be fixed.

15. Brian York

16. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Signed.

17. Brian York

(bumping to page one of this forum again...)

18. Brian York

19. Rob Dwyer

Rob Dwyer Stunt Coordinator

Man, the Monty Python/Holy Grail problems are NOWHERE near as bad as the Dinosaur SE problems... and at least there IS a solution to the MPatHG problem!
    Why is no one up in arms that its been nearly a freakin year with no solution in sight! [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Jeff Brickhouse

Signed and waiting...