Holy Grail SE case = JUNK

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Verdieck, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Now I have heard peoples various gripes over the years about DVD keepcases. Most of those fall into the "Its too #@$%@#$ hard to get the DVD out".
    Who cares! There are ways of getting it out. At least it stays attached.
    I go to Best Buy, Python out and get MP Live, Jabberwocky and the Grail SE. I come home and open 'em up. The Grail disc 1 is loose and scratched.
    I go back to Best Buy, exchange it for another copy, leave. Ooops - I should have opened it on the spot. I get home and discover that it too is loose. Please note, when I selected a new copy for the exchange, I shook it in an attempt to hear if the disc is loose.
    At lunch today, I will do it over, and open it on the spot at the exchange counter, to make sure it is not loose...

2. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

This might be more a function of discs not being properly seated on the hubs in the first place rather than coming loose later. I have at least 3 DVDs in double amaray keepcases like this one and none of them had unsecured discs when I first opened them.
    ------------------
    This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

My first Grail disc was also a floater. However, I think it was also the "top of the box" because I noticed there's a straight cut in the plastic film of the outer box indicating that someone had razored too deep in the cardboard box they came in and cut the top-most DVD. So when I exchanged, I went around BB and shook all the other discs to see if anything was floating (gently, mind you, not violently). And none were. The luck of the draw I guess. I picked a replacement and it was fine.

4. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I got mine in the mail and the first disc had also slipped out and looked perhaps a bit dirty or scratched on the bottom. Both discs work fine, though.
    -Tom

5. JasonH

JasonH Extra

My Holy Grail DVD, also from Best Buy, was loose and badly scratched. I exchanged it and the second one was ok, although even it was pushed all the way onto the center hub. I'm sure if I shook it a lot before opening it it would have been loose and damaged. Sounds like a production problem to me, since my Star Wars and Final Fantasy cases are identical and didn't have this problem.
    Jason
    P.S. - When I went in to Best Buy to get Holy Grail Tuesday afternoon, the only ones on the shelf were the old ones. I asked one of the people stocking the shelves for it and showed them the ad. He pointed to the old disc. I had to show him the picture and he disappeared into the back, returning ten minutes later with a entire case of the SEs.

6. Philip Klein

Philip Klein Stunt Coordinator

which is why all B&M purchases should be shaken, to determine if the disc is loose. This method works for me.

7. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

People are saying their Holy Grail cases are identical to the Star Wars and Final Fantasy cases. I don't know about Final Fantasy, but I know my Grail and Episode I cases are different. The Phantom Menace case is your average slim double Amaray, with two flaps on the right side on top of each other when you open it up. The Holy Grail has disc one on the LEFT side of the case when you open it up, on a disc-sized flap that moves a bit but can't fall all the way over to the other side even if you tilt it. It's weird.
    -Tom

8. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

My first disc was on the verge on coming off the hubwhen I opened it. Luckily, it didn't.

9. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Maybe I'm like a kid on Christmas morning, but I always open my new DVDs(and CDs) in my truck before I leave the store parking lot. Any with scratches and I go right back into the store. Considering the price of these things I don't think I should have to settle for scratched discs and cases. And knowing that once I'm home I'm too lazy to go back the store, I make sure I'm happy before I leave. [​IMG]
    Regards
    KrisM