Holy Grail problem (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
-----
Why don't the major DVD sites such as DVDFile, The Digital Bits and DVD Review have warnings posted? Don't they have a responsibility to their readers? A lot of people are going to buy Holy Grail discs that won't play in their players, and a lot of retailers won't accept defective returns except for the same title - which will do no good at all.
-----
Larry - I too have been wondering why NONE of the big DVD websites have even mentioned this problem yet. It's been almost a week since the discs release, there have been numerous threads about the problem in all of the DVD Usenet groups, here, and in the forum on DVDTalk. Still nothing from TheDigitalBits, DVDReview, DVDFile, DVDVerdict, etc. It seems the editors of these sites are asleep at the wheel. Additionally, we STILL haven't heard anything from Columbia-Tristar Home Entertainment about the problem with this title. Perhaps we shall have to say "NEE!!" to them numerous times.
DP

John Fieldstadt

Stunt Coordinator
Add another Toshiba 6200 to the list of those NOT experiencing any problems. Although I did not perform the test requested a few posts earlier, I did play quite a bit with the sub-titles and I could not get the failure to appear on my unit.
Whew!!!
------------------
Sony KP-61HS10, Sony DB940, Toshiba SD-6200, JVC HR-7600U, Sony CE545, Sony Sat. Receiver, Klipsch Reference Series (RB-5, RC-3 & RS-3), Klipsch KSW-15, Sennheiser RS-6, Sony RM-AV2100

Brian York

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian York
Larry - This was exactly my reaction. I sent them(and others) an email so they could warn people last week on Oct. 24th, and only DVD Angle out of the entire list of sites I directly notified has posted ANYTHING about the problems on this disk. It's now been a known problem for almost a week, and the others still haven't stepped up. ...and this is despite the fact that all of the sites you mentioned seem to have NO problem posting rumours or Studio-provided information the split-second they get even just a hint of them.
This has made me reconsider who these sites are actually serving now. I guess we must consider them much more just a funnel for studio and industry news than previously thought. I find this sad...Each of them used to be very focused on serving their readership.
They're all probably still worthwhile for studio info and rumours...but can anyone suggest alternatives to provide timely end-user feedback to supplement what I read here and at DVD Talk? It's sometimes hard to catch the one thread that has the key info in a forum, vs. reading a news headline.
------------------
Brian York
Visit The Home Theater Online Community | My DVD Collection(at DVDProfiler)
[Edited last by Brian York on October 29, 2001 at 11:24 AM]

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
My friend bought the dvd and we played it on my Toshiba sd-1600 and got the same problem. We were both a little ticked, but at least we could turn them off with the remote.
I'm not sure if the second disc has subtitles or not, but it seemed to be fine.
Favorite extra:
The scenes dubbed in Japanese and re-translated into english. "Hurry! Find a place of safety!"
laugh.gif

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Add the Sony DVP-S330 to the list of spontanious subtitles.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
I just wanted to verify that the Sony DVP-S7700 does NOT exhibit the subtitle problems. I even switched on and off several of the different subtitle tracks available, and it was still fine after playing around like that with the subtitles. I could switch from English to French to Spanish, to Shakespeare, to the script, back and forth, on and off, no problems.
Brian, I agree with your asessment of the various dvd news sites. Seems their relationship with the studios has become stronger than their commitment to the readers.
frown.gif

------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page
[Edited last by Kieran Coghlan on October 29, 2001 at 04:25 PM]

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I returned my copy today. From what I've been reading here, it would seem no one involved with the DVD was steering the boat, and they Titanic'd it big time. I might think about repurchasing it when they all get their shit together.
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

GerardC

Agent
My Sony DVP-S7700 experiences no problems with the subtitles popping up undesired. I watched the dvd one time without any subtitles at all and the second time switched between different options, all going smoothly.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
One last data point. The same disc that exhibited (identical) glitches in my Sony 650D and Pioneer DVL-700 plays flawlessly in my Playstation 2. (Except for the missing Swedish sub, of course.)
So I guess we can infer that the Sony-supplied test deck at CTHE is either a 7700 or a PS2. :)
Ryan

Rob T

Screenwriter
Columbia is working to fix the error according to thedigitalbits.com
And just a quick update - we've heard back from Columbia TriStar about Holy Grail. They're working to correct the subtitle problems now and will replace the defective discs (no details are available yet). They're also looking into the missing title graphic.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Alex, it's just the "Holie Grailen" subtitle. The remainder of the "Swedish" is still there.
Last night I discovered the PERFECT way to watch this disc!
Put on the French language track, and then display the Shakespearian subtitles!
It's a hoot! I hadn't laughed that hard in centuries.

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
I am happy to report there are NO problems with subtitles when using the Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD player.
My daughter and I watched this together last night and had a ball.

Paul W

Second Unit
The Digital bits has posted that CTHE is aware of the problem and is looking into fixing it.
Oct 30 Late update: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.
[Edited last by Paul W on October 31, 2001 at 08:32 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks