What's new

Holy Grail problem (1 Viewer)

Britton

Screenwriter
I find it amusing that Sony players are having trouble with this disc since CTHE is a part of Sony if I'm not mistaken. I can't find an email address on their site. I wish I still had the phone number for CTHE that I called to get a corrected copy of Leon.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
My Sony 550 does it. This is the first problem that I've ever had with it. I called the number and posted in Steve's thread the feedback section. I can't fucking believe this.
------------------
-Dwayne

Julie K

Screenwriter
Maybe something for the better can come of all this. I doubt we'd get a re-pressing for the missing subtitle at the beginning, but I'd think they would go ahead and fix that if they have to fix the entire disc anyway.
Of course, that's assuming they'll fix this problem in the first place.
(As an aside, I finally got around to watching the Lego film. OMG. I was really skeptical about it beforehand, but that is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time
laugh.gif
)
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Harrison Shinn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harrison Shinn
Whew! I thought I was dreaming or just going mad! I put the disc into the Toshiba SD-3109 I have in my bedroom just before bedtime and although I did toggle through the subs to see the HENRY IV subtitles, I *knew* that I shut them off. Anyway, I kept dozing off (it was really late, like 2:30 AM) and then waking up only to see the subs on. So I'd shut them off and watch some more before dozing off again, wake up and there those subs were again! I eventually just shut the damn thing off thinking, "Boy, I'm more tired than I thought..."
It's nice to know I've not gone (completely) mad...yet!
Cheers!
Harry
------------------
i'm not policing what you think and dream...
-Tori Amos "Concertina"

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
Add another Toshiba 3109 to the list. Also the first problem I have come across with my player since I bought it 2 years ago. Plays fine in my Playstation 2.
Sean
------------------
"My girls won 10 out of 11. And the 11th was won by a deaf mute. You can't beat that."

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Toshiba SD-3107 as well. When the subtitles first came on I thought it was a Python-type joke, like "Dentist on the Job". No such luck.
--Bill

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm sur eit is a mastering flaw, but WHAT a flaw, eh? I mean....think of ALL the things that could go wrong with a DVD, and with Holy Grail (a film with a very obvious subtitle joke in the beginning) has screwy subtitles! I dunno...I honestly have to laugh at the irony. It's almost like it is a joke, because it's so Pythonesque.

Robert Mayrand

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe we should check the rom version we have on the different player to isolate the problematic one.
My SD-2710 rom info is
Boot Rom version V1.400
Main Rom version V1.600
And i don't seem to have any problem, but maybe it's the canadian dvd wich is fine. The only difference is that I have an extra french soundtrack.
For Rom info do as said earlier, power your dvd player without a disc. Press "zoom", then 6-0-6 and "zoom" again.
Rob

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Good news (sort of). I got a message on my machine around 12:30 or so from someone at CTHE telling me that they're aware of the problem. The customer rep (Albert?) apologized profusely and said that they'd notify me after they've investigated the problem further and had come up with a solution.
So something good might come of this after all!

Brian York

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian York
This is nagging at me...can anyone think of a good reason why hardly any of the DVD info Websites are posting news of this glitch? (DVD Angle being the notable exception...kudos to them!)
I know a subset of the key sites are aware, because I made a point of sending a "heads up" email on 10/24 to all of the sites I frequent. (The Big Picture, The Cinema Laser, The Digital Bits, DVD Angle, DVD Review, DVDFILE.COM, and DVDTown)
I'm baffled why they're not getting the news out. Every day's delay is another day's worth of MPHG:SE purchases made by members of their readerships.
Any ideas why?
------------------
Brian York
Visit The Home Theater Online Community | My DVD Collection(at DVDProfiler)

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
Woo !
biggrin.gif
(and more to the point) Hoo !
biggrin.gif

Some light at the end of the tunnel ?!?
Here's hoping. I watched the film thru the other nite, frequent subtitle removal and all. The inconvenience was regrettable, but the vid quality went along way to making up for this (almost). ( gotta love the extras, Legos especially)

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
Well, not when the Rabbit appears, but actually after the display concludes !
I just watched portions with the Killer Rabbit feature engaged and at the end of the first segment just when the rabbit disappears, at "Halt Who goes there" the first subs appear.
At the nest rabbit with the Sterling sign in green, the titles reappear in 'Bring out your dead' at the point where John Cleese says' Here's one' but there is another 'bring out your dead' prior to the subs appearing again.
Again in the silly Knight scene ("None shall pass") the subs appear again in the first dialogue spoken after the Rabbit icon disappears when the fight concludes with "You fight with the strength of many men, good sir knight".
A-HA !!!!There must be an anomoly in the code after the Rabbit feature disappears that causes the subs to automatically 'engage'.
Toshiba SD-5109, btw
[Edited last by James Corey on October 26, 2001 at 08:19 PM]

JamesCS

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't picked my copy up yet. I guess I should wait for the "fixed" version to hit the stores?
confused.gif

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
I also have a Toshiba SD-6200. I have viewed up to the "None shall pass!" scene without the problem cropping up.
Tell me, does it start later on in the film, or am I okay!?
Spence
------------------
SpenceJT
Link Removed
"...now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!"
- Thank you Mr. Lemmon

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I don't want to get your hope sup, but I would image you're safe. For 99% of the people having problems, it starts right at the beginning from the first dialogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks