What's new

Holy Grail problem (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I just recieved this reply from Toshiba customer service --
"We apologize for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked."
------------------
-Jeff Cooper
"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Ok I just tested it on my JVC player and it worked perfectly. Guess it's just a Toshiba thing
frown.gif
. On a side note, was anyone else frightened by the look of the Columbia Tri-Star intro thing?? It starts off all blocky like it's having MPEG problems, then resolves into a clear image after the blocks all shift into place. I actually thought my disc might be damaged when I saw this, because when I opened it up, disc one had come out of its older and looked like it might be scratched (I got it mail-order). Everything works fine, though.
-Tom

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have not opened my disc yet, as I posted earlier, and will be returning it very soon it if there is no resolution to fix the subtitle problems.
One of my close friends had trouble with the subtitles on his Toshiba 5109 and brought the disc over to see if it was his player or a bad disc. My player (also a Toshiba 5109) had the same subtitle problems. Besides a bad pressing of The Kentucky Fried Movie, this is the first of over 500+ titles to give me any problems with my 5109.
This was my most anticipated title of the year...I am VERY disappointed.
frown.gif

------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Julie K

Screenwriter
Got the problem with my 2109
furious.gif

Damn damn damn. This is the first problem I've had with the player. It's been great until now.
furious.gif

------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"
[Edited last by Julie K on October 24, 2001 at 05:43 AM]

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Is my 2107 some rare breed? Why do I not have this problem?
I'm starting to feel left out...
frown.gif

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
I have the pop up every once in a while for one or two lines of subtitles with our Sony DVP-S560D. This is bizarre. I think they were the Henry V subtitles too. I wonder if we can try to get a resolution for this issue...
------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
My DVDs

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Yep, I get sporadic random subtitles on my Sony 650. Haven't tried it in the old Pioneer DVL-700 yet. Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Pioneer (otherwise known as King Of The Glitches) actually behaves correctly?
Ryan

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Same problem here with the Tosh 5109. Since I have close to 900 titles and have never had this type of subtitle problem before I believe this rests with CTHV. Toshiba could upgrade their firmware but for 1 title I don't see the point for them. Non-the-less I think that CTHV tried something innovative here without checking out the impact on the Toshiba player line (1 of the biggest installed base players on the market). I would hope they rectify the problem and send replacements through a special process similar to Fox and MGM when a rush to market has yielded unforseen compatibility issues in the past.
I have been working with technology companies now for some 16 years and the complexity of the compatibility issues is ever expanding. I believe Microsoft is the recipient of much bad press on this issue alone. The expansion of DVD's into the mass market has been in some ways great for us collectors but has increased the challenge for the software producers. CTHV has been great thus far -- let's see how they handle this one...
- Joel

Have the problems on my 3109, but I found that when the subtitles start, if I would just hit the subtitle button on my remote twice, to change the subtitle track, they would go away.
Clay

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I checked out my copy last night on my Sony 550 and it glitches with the subtitles as well, necessitating the pressing of the "Subtitle" button. As Sony dragged their feet but eventually made amends with the problems with the 5.1 track on "Leon," they'll probably respond to this at some point.
They better, because if they don't, they're definitely going to lose multiple sales of this over the Christmas season-- the disc is so good that I want to buy it for my friends!

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
My 5109 has the same problem, what do we do?
Is it a hardware or software issue?
I have no problems with my other 250 DVD's.

Brad Cook

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to add that I watched this film last night on my Sony 300, and I had the same problem too: sub-titles that popped up at random. It was only one or two lines at a time, and it was English, not the Henry IV sub-titles or any of the languages.
When I tried to recreate the problem, I didn't see them, so I assume it was random. It happened about 4-5 times in the movie. Annoying, but not bad enough to make me exchange the film.
I assume this is a player thing, though, not a bad pressing of the disc, as it sounds like this is fairly rampant. It will be interesting to see what happens with this, if Sony and Toshiba announce something or if the studio sacks those responsible for the disc.
Otherwise, it's a very nice release. I grabbed it for $19 at Costco, so I was happy.
- Brad

Julie K

Screenwriter
Just in case anyone hasn't seen this thread, there's also a problem that the initial "Mønti Pythøn ik den Hølie Grãilen" subtitle is missing.
Let's all voice our displeasure over this and the player incompatibility (which I'm guessing is related to how the 'Follow the Killer Rabbit' feature is implemented) here .
Whoever is responsible for these problems should be sacked!
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I have a Sony DVP-NC600/B and mine does the same thing....it does it for just one scene, and no matter how I set the subtitles, it continues to do it.

Paul W

Second Unit
I found a number for Sony Pictures in california. I asked them to transfer my to CTHE. There a voice recording told me to return any defective discs to place of purchase, but they offer to let me record a message if I had any questions.
If you, call them and ask when they plan on correcting and exchanging this disc.
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I don't know if this will help anybody, but I have a Toshiba SD-6200, and the disc plays just fine on my player.
------------------
-Jeff Cooper
"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks