What's new

HOLY FLIRKING SCHMIDT! New Lord of the Rings releases! (1 Viewer)

Mikah Woodward

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like Amazon's now explicitly stating that the movies will be split across both sides of a DVD-18. I'd still like to know why they seem to be the only one with that info.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

Off course they will. The studios double-dip & triple-dip & they will also do this with the High-Def format which wins the war.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i already have all the previous discs.
can't see a reason to buy it again on these new versions.

i guess other then the new docs why is anyone who has all the discs buying again

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps it is just me, but I don't see how seamless branching is even possible with the TE's and EE's - not without really changing one of them.

FOTR Examples:
- The shire intro; Different scenes altogether in different order, different Frodo-Gandalf dialogue, different music arrangement.
- The gift giving; The little there is in the TE has different music, and the cutting is much more complex in the EE.
- The breaking of the fellowship; More subtle here, but the music was changed (for the worse) by applying it to more battle footage in the EE.

How will they resolve this? Is the seamless branching just a marketing mistake, or is a 3rd cut being made? Or is the branching over very large areas of the movie?

(Like many others, my ideal LOTR editions are somewhere i between the TE's and EE's.)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Are we sure it's seamless branching? Maybe one version is on one side of DVD-18 and the other on the opposite side. That would explain the dvd-18 use.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Maybe it's not only the bits that are different that are branched. Maybe the lead- in footage and music is also branched.

AllanN

Supporting Actor

I can’t see how they could make a better transfer on a DVD-9. With just the DD 5.1 track I can see how it would be acceptable but not better. I also personally would prefer two DVD-9's over an DVD-18 solely because im in the minority that own a DVD changer and all I have to do is press disk skip instead of flipping/changing disks.

I have no interest in watching the theatrical cuts. I’m sure some do but not me.

I've only watched the current documentaries once and only the director commentary track. I'll find a way to watch the new docs cheaply.

After I adopt the winner of the HD war and when the HD editions come out with either the new docs or all the docs then ill bite.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Amazon now says the film is split between 2 sides of a DVD-18

Disc 1 will present the Special Extended DVD Edition of the film split into two parts (on two sides of a DVD-18) at the break point of the initial DVD release. The Theatrical version will also be split into two parts (on two sides of a DVD-18) available through seamless branching.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i hope they release it on netflix =). i just can't imagine what more i could possibly know about LOTR after the EE releases.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

This is correct. I received the DVDs this afternoon and they indeed spread across both sides of one DVD-18. The documentary is on its own disc...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Sheesh... a flipper?

BAD!

I'd rather have had the movie spread over the 2 discs with the *documenary* on the 2nd side of the first disc... for DVD changers to work effectively and seamlessly.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
How is the seemless branching, and where do they break the theatrical versions?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Can't comment on the quality of any of this stuff - 1) I've not actually watched it yet, and 2) it's stepping on toes here to offer my thoughts when a HTF reviewer will do their own coverage...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Colin,

no worries about stepping on toes. We all have different gear, different perceptions, and different eyes. Share your impressions with us!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks