What's new

Holy Crap! Sounds to make the sub go baaaaarf... (1 Viewer)

There are a couple of flicks that really impress folks when I play them. We Were Soldiers and The Sum of All Fears. First of all my sub is a 122L sealed Tempest that is downfiring with a 250W PE plate. The gain is left at just a tad over a third of the way up. There are a couple of scenes in We Were Soldiers when Mel was firing his M-16 that are amazing. Each shot he squeezes off makes the floor drop a tad under your feet. My friends just look at me with shocked look on their faces when they experience it. The other is when the nuke goes off in The Sum of All Fears. I have large crystal bowl that sits on the sub that weighs a good 4 lbs. During that scene at a good volume, that bowl is dancing on the sub - sometimes jumping up to an inch in the air. I had to move it as it was making tiny little dings in the veneer! Oh yeah, I get the same shocked/dumb look from them during that scene as well. Love my sub.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm resurrecting this thread again because MingL posted a graphic analysis of the Irene scene in BHD I thought readers/posters of this thread would be interested in.
Here's the thread.
JKS

I've always thought many store-bought subs were missing the lowest octave, so I plann to build 2 Tumults with the 18" PRs tuned to ~16Hz. But now I'm beginning to think I will still be missing the lowest two octaves.
What do you think it would take in terms of sealed Tumults with a LT to get substantial 5Hz bass? My guess would start with that if one Tumult could produce "enough" bass at 20Hz, 4 Tumults would produce the same dB SPL at 10Hz and 16 Tumults would do it at 5Hz (using a LT and ignoring corner loading) since every time the frequency is cut in half it requires 4 times the excursion to maintain a constant SPL -- if I remember correctly.
16 Tumults :D Just a hair over my budget. Any better ideas?

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i got a specail copy of LOTR Two Towers and let me tell you if you think BHD was bass intense wait untill you get Two Towers its insane. each foot step one of those trees took shock my dorm along with my wing. Also when they blew up the wall i was yet again blown away. just wait till you get your tempest/tumults on that in DVD format with true LFE

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Allen,
BHD isn't sounding "bassy" all that much,the scene in question has an extension that human's can't hear,and beyond most subs capability,it just have a "cool" factor to it.

A

Anthony_Gomez

ya....and that cool factor...definately is cool!

you going to be at the Bass List meeting this Saturday?

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Adam,

The link doesn't seem to be working. I'm guessing that it's a video of your sub driver dancing on 5Hz bass. Am I right??

I guess that because I tried to capture the same video of mine w/ my digicam, but it didn't work. I wish someone could post such video because it is a sight to behold.

JKS

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
You won't be able to capture the movement well with a digicam. The framerate is too low. You'll need to record with a digi camcorder and transfer to pc in mpg or avi.

BTW, this is a cool thread.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Why's the sub going in and out crooked? Shouldn't it have a fairly straight throw? It looks like it's rocking from side to side.

Seth

A

Anthony_Gomez

After playing BHD on my HE12's....the DPL's excursion looks like a toddlers toy ;)
I doubt the sub is really rocking...it could be an artifact of how the digital camera samples video.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Give me a few more days and I'll have videos of a Tumult and 4 PRs rocking. Bwhahahaha! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks