What's new

Holy cow.. new Denon Pre-Amp (1 Viewer)

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice....but only balance speaker outputs? No dice for me...oh and $7,000 too....even more no dice.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
They're meant for amps, not speakers. And there's a standard set of outputs across the bottom of the back panel.

M.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
To tell the truth, I think $7,000 is cheap for this preamp/processor. If some small high-end company had put this out, it easily could cost $15-20,000 and be even heavier because, of course, it would just have to feature a lot of heavy gauge metal in the chassis and a monster power supply.

I want one but can't justify it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Agreed! Even at $7K, this unit could pose some serious competition to high-end processors costing a lot more.

M.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'd be more impressed if it did internal decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master audio.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Because a lot of people still use devices with only those outputs. Components like VCRs :eek:, S-VHS decks (420 line resolution), older Laserdisc players, digital cameras, PC-based gizmos, yada yada.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I don't know...I have a hard time believing that people that spend $7K on gear like this would still have that old stuff lying around.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't so much have to do with its age, it's more to do with the fact that many people who buy this type of gear (like this Denon) aren't HT hobbyists or technology buffs, and as repulsive as this may sound to the dedicated HT hobbyists here --> they only buy this stuff because they can (I saw this all the time when I sold HT gear and went over to peoples' homes to help install it - many had no clue what they actually bought). So to them it's a non-issue still owning a bunch of VHS tapes of family events or old TV shows or special broadcasts that never showed up on dvd. Same with Laserdiscs: they may have just enough discs for it to make sense to keep an old player around, but not enough to buy a newer model. And over the years I've noticed many people that are well-off keep older things around for a long time because they are a bit, shall we say, on the frugal side. ;)

Doug_H

Supporting Actor

I believe this is a rebadged Macintosh. Now that they are under the same parent company we may see more of this.

I Like :)

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

It's absolutely not rebadged Macintosh. It's much closer to the best of the best of their receivers upgraded even further and having the amp separated. Denon doesn't do a lot of tech sharing with the other companies in their corporate umbrella.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm probably in the target audience for this thing, since my current pre/pro is a Lexicon MC-8. Ever since I got it a few years ago, the devices connected to it include two LD players and S-VHS recorder.

They'll probably get connected to whatever replaces the MC-8.

Some of us have been at this for a very long time. :)

M.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I've been at it for a while as well, but I guess I just sell off older equipment and put the money towards newer stuff when it comes out.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It isn't a question of keeping "older equipment". It's a question of retaining the ability to play legacy media. If "newer stuff" could play tapes and laserdiscs, I'd do the same as you.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks