Holy Cow! An Improvement over SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Guy Kuo, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

If you've followed any of my eye opening and pleasant adventure with my SVS subs, you know I've been enjoying them in my room. Titan AE and TPM were just so visceral with the SVS cylinders. I thought I was in hog heaven. Even so, the ETF program and calibrated microphone showed a problem in my room. I had a big peak near 60 Hz which I couldn't tune out with sub placement due to constraints in the room. That still allowed me some very nice bass that was deeper and less boomy bass than ever - until now.
    As Tom Vodhanel had suggested, I added a Symetrix parametric equalizer and used it to tame the room mode peak. I knew intellectually that would be a good thing, but I didnt' realize how much of a difference it would make.
    Usually, one uses sweeps or warbles to tune things, but since I had ETF equipment handy, I could easily watch the peak surgically removed from the bass response curve as I adjusted the center frequency, bandwidth, and cut depth. Since it was a parametric EQ I could take out the peak while leaving surrounding frequencies largely intact. BTW, once you've spent the money you have on your speakers, it makes all the sense in the world to get the ETF package and really tune things to perfection.
    Once the peak was removed, overall bass response curve was much flatter so average sub level was higher. Basically frequencies that were previously kept too soft in order to accomodate that peak could now be reproduced at higher volume. My receiver's sub level and peak sub limit needed readjustment, but once everything was done, it was time to run through the demo discs again.
    I hadn't thought it could have gotten THIS much better. The overall deep bass improvement allowed TPM's super deep pressure waves to be reproduced so well that I could almost count those 10 Hz waves passing through me. That was with the system set at 10 dB below reference! Titan AE's ice crystals chapter practically shook the room apart. I could feel my shirt vibrating against my body, but it wasn't at all loud at 16 dB below reference. You'd never believe that my tactile transducers weren't operating. There was so much low bass movement.
    Five minutes later I was on the phone inviting a friend over to hear the effect of the EQ. He's ordering one for his SVS subs as well.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Usually, I am worried about folks not buying SVS subs because of my posting my previous room problems, then someone posts an intelligent post like this that I can piggyback on...
    Gary: Isn't is just amazing? Once you tame the peaky beasts then the total sub spectrum just spills over everything you hear. I ended up tuning my Ultra sub down once I had it tamed and compensated for my full range front speakers. I can't imagine anyone using a sub, seriously, without compensating for the room modes.... I too use a Symetrix 551E but also had previously tried to use and ART 351 and 551 with moderate success. If you got the bucks, my ideal EQ for subs is currently the Rane PE-17 (not PE-15) EQ.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!
    [Edited last by John Morris on October 20, 2001 at 09:27 PM]

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Excellent Guy!
    While the art351 is areally a nice cost effective way to add basic EQing and adjustable subsonic filtering to the sub(s)...the Sysmetrix 551 parametric EQ is really a leap ahead in all regards. It's a little on the expensive side...but it's one hell of a unit. We'll eventually make up some *package* pricing for the 551. But even if you get something like the CS_U/S1000/551 now...for less than $2700...you get a kilowatt of amp,5 bands of parametric EQ,user adjustable subsonic filtering that's adjustable down to 6hz(!) and enough headroom to give twin HGS18s a run with a total footprint in the 3.5 sq-ft range(not bad...)
    TV

4. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

Ron/Tom,
    I hope you guys are capturing all the concerns, Tips and Tricks on this and other forum and compile some kind of documentation on your web site or a small booklet with the manual.
    I know you guys covered pretty good on the installation and calibration of the sub.
    my 2 cents suggestion...

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Guy: As John notes, excellent post.
    I have come to the decision that a parametric eq is in my system's future.
    After I received my Outlaw ICBM, I re-ran all of my bass tests and I finally came to the conclusion that I could no longer tolerate the big subwoofer 40 Hz bass mountain I have in my system/room (I'm running an M&K sub.) I did a bit of checking on the under $200 digital Behringer Feedback Destroyer Model 1100 (also functions as a parametric eq.) but I couldn't locate any (discontinued?)
    And so, after doing a bit of research, I decided to order a Rane PE-17. While I haven't directly compared it to your Symetrix, the basic idea is the same. Notch out the peaks so that all of the frequencies come through.
    I hope to have it this week and I'll pass along my impressions (if I'll be able to stop listening!)
    ------------------

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Yes, I also found a huge improvement in bass "quality" when implementing a BFD 1100P (parametric EQ) into my system with the help of the ETF5 program to tame the bass peaks. I actually use a Marchand electronic xover to split my mains and sub and then use the BFD only on the sub (

7. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Any of you folks familiar with the JBL BassQ? I read some interesting stuff about it, but at $999, it's kind of expensive.
    ------------------

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Good points Guy!
    The TPM DVD has so much low end stuff[below 25hz],that most people with the very common 40-60hz spikes will miss them because they get burried under the higher harmonics,or just calibrated to accomodate the spikes like yourself.
    Welcome to the flat bass club! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

9. TylerN

TylerN Stunt Coordinator

What device(s) and methods do you guys use to map out these peaks?

10. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

That spike in my system really did force me to hide a lot of content. Without that artificial peak, getting the rest of the bass up to where it should be was just plain amazing. There's no way to go back after seeing what a difference it makes. Pretty neat to let the SVS's actually do the super deep extension they were designed to achieve.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD