What's new

Holy Carp, that's a big fish... (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Giant Groupers always give me the creeps. They are very curious beasts that like to investigate things like the bubbles from a regulator!

The largest Grouper I've run across was at 'Buck Island' off St. Croix. I would guess it was at least 600lbs. It was well fed by the locals and as such, has been living there for several years. Buck Island is also home of three huge (+6') barracuda all of whom are very tame and can be hand fed... not literally speaking of course! Well, at least if you are careful. ;)

Here is a shot of the World Record Line Caught Grouper:

Chris Derby

Second Unit

no reason to stay outta the water. chances are you'd never see anything that big. the warsaw in the picture at the top was speared in 425fsw (!!!) of water.

that's WAY below recreational dive "limits". 130ft is your usual ceiling, er, floor.

i read the story in the first link. 425fsw, 150ft+ of vis and 80 degree water.

sigh, it never gets up to 80 on the left coast. :frowning:

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
:D Yes, the hermit crab would probably take my foot clear off if it ever got a hold of me!

And don't even get me started on seaweed!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
"The Mekong giant catfish was listed as critically endangered in 2003 after research showed its numbers had fallen by at least 80 percent in the past 13 years."

So it died while they tried to eBay the thing, and then made fish soup from it.

Great.

I wonder how old it was.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Tartar sauce stocks might have skyrocketed, with those monsters out of the water a lot of other critters are going to have a chance to grow. I feel sorry for the person who had to clean the fish up to cook it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks