Holtmods digital pcm output for cld-d505 help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Bray, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone attempted the holtmods pcm digital coax/toslink mod on a pioneer cld-d505 player? The instructions reference the 504 player and the connection to get at the digital stream is different (or appears to be) on the 505. Has anyone done this or have a service manual handy for the 505?
    Thanks for any help.. I've built the board and it (argghhh) won't work yet...
    Vince

2. Vince Bray

Never mind, found it. If anyone is interested in the details pm me. I got coax out working, now for toslink [​IMG]

3. Vince Bray

Ok, toslink is so easy to add to these players that no one should have to listen to the onboard dacs... not that they're bad, but the modern AV receiver should be able to do better. At least it keeps the digital signal for longer.
    I mistakenly thought I had to build the whole mod and then add toslink. That's not the case. You can add optical for a few resistors, caps, and a coil. And, of course a toslink jack. All this stuff comes cheap from digi-key.
    Anyway I thought it was interesting that the toslink is so much simpler than coax. The coax circuit includes an ic, a pulse transformer, lots of connections, etc. You can get the detailed instructions from the above link e-mailed for $20 and parts for the toslink-only option would run about $10 from digikey. The coax circuit requires parts from pioneer that run up the cost, so while I know it's considered superior, the toslink option is very easy for someone who is running with rca jacks.
    I think I'm done talking to myself now. Back to Return of the Jedi [​IMG]

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Thanks for the info,I have a 504 that I would love to mod.
    Since the optical is so easy, can you just add it without the coax?

5. Vince Bray

Yes you can add it by itself. It's about 4 resistors, a capacitor, a fiber toslink jack, and a 100mH coil. Grab the plans from Holtmods and go straight to the section about adding toslink. It's a short little paragraph [​IMG] I'll help out any way I can.. I think you won't have too much trouble if you solder. In fact, your board likely has a spot where the toslink jack would have been. That's how I found the right trace on the 505, by following from the missing jack to the IC. They leave out $4 worth of parts and mark the player down $200....

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

7. Vince Bray

When I inquired about kits/plans I found out that kits are not available but you can get the plans for $20 e-mailed. They accept paypal too which is very convenient.

8. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ