What's new

HOLOMAX (warning: image heavy!) (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
After the interest in my library room in another thread on the HTF, I've decided to create a thread that is dedicated to my library and home theatre project.

In order to create my cinema room it was clear that I needed to have a large extension at the rear of the property. The extension would include an expansion of my kitchen, a new dining area, a utility area, my cinema room and the film library. The building work commenced in October 2012 and was finished around May 2013. I didn't have a home theatre consultant or firm involved in anyway, I fulfilled that role onsite, which was thanks to many years of reading the HTF and some sales experience working with high end A/V gear in the short lived Best Buy UK.

Here's the finished result:

The Library Room

P1020386 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

P1020384 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

P1020385 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

P1020390 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

There are a total of eighteen spotlights in the library room that run in three strips from the entrance of the room to the double door entrance of the HOLOMAX. They feature U.V. filters so may collection remains safe from harmful light.

HOLOMAX

My intention with the HOLOMAX from a design standpoint was to juxtapose the design of an old cinema with the cutting edge technology within.

The entrance to the HOLOMAX is inside the Library Room. I chose these doors in particular as the design reminded me somewhat of "filmstrips". The large brass door handles have "PULL" inscribed on them (might be difficult to make out on the picture). The door frame surround is custom made to create the feel of an old fashioned theatre. I based the design of the HOLOMAX sign on something in particular but more on that later... The sign is lit with LED strips.

P1020414 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

The screen is a 116" Seymour 1.2 Gain Centre Stage that was made in Iowa and shipped to the UK. There are four seats within the theatre with space for additional seating in front of the first row if needed.

P1020415 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

P1020403 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

P1020401 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

P1020398 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

P1020399 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

There are lots of different lighting options to choose from which are all controlled (including the Library Room lighting) via a Lutron GRAFIK Eye Lighting Control System that you can see below (it's the black box):

P1020410 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

I have four set theme modes on it, 1.) is guests entering, 2.) guests seated (preshow), 3.) credits, 4.) my mode.

P1020411 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

P1020408 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

P1020420 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

The fire exit sign is based off a similar design found in Twilight Zone's Tower of Terror at Disney Studios, Florida.

Now, you may have been thinking that the name HOLOMAX seems somewhat familiar...

]
2191_00477_640x550 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

:D What can I say? I've been a huge Back to the Future fan my entire life and I think without it, I wouldn't be a film fan today. With 2015 just around the corner, I decided to make the HOLOMAX a reality.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dale:

First, thanks for your thoughtfulness in creating a new thread dedicated to your HT so as not to distract from that other thread.

For one thing, it allows me to comment on your set-up...which I was hesitant to do in the other thread.

Wow! Your attention to detail is much appreciated.

While I love the HT room itself, that library is something that most members of the HTF probably wish they had available in their own homes. Disc storage is one of those recurring topics at the HTF. it just won't seem to go away, because most people don't have the resources to come up with such a beautiful solution. Congratulations! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
My issue is three-fold-- disc storage, CD storage and (increasingly) vinyl storage. We're in a two-bedroom condo in LA and turned the closet in the spare bedroom/office into storage for my stuff, but there's still some definite spillover. When we buy a house, we're going to have to factor all of this into it! And that's not even mentioning all my comics that I keep in a storage unit with some of my books, etc. I am married to a very patient wife.

PS - Dale -- Very impressive! The lighting in the library is really nice.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
To quote Jonathan Quayle Higgins, who should also be present somewhere in that collection:

Oh. My. God.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Mark Cappelletty said:
My issue is three-fold-- disc storage, CD storage and (increasingly) vinyl storage. We're in a two-bedroom condo in LA and turned the closet in the spare bedroom/office into storage for my stuff, but there's still some definite spillover. When we buy a house, we're going to have to factor all of this into it! And that's not even mentioning all my comics that I keep in a storage unit with some of my books, etc. I am married to a very patient wife.

PS - Dale -- Very impressive! The lighting in the library is really nice.
Thanks Mark.
Kevin EK said:
To quote Jonathan Quayle Higgins, who should also be present somewhere in that collection:

Oh. My. God.
I'd love to check out the screening room in Robin's Nest! I bet that Robin Master's has quite the film collection... ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Very nice. You appear to have put a lot of thought in getting the most out of a smaller space. It's quite gorgeous.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Very nice. The entrance through the library is unique. The enry door looks looks great. I like the way you arranged the lighting as well.

Very well thought out and done. I lke it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Beautiful! One of these days, if I ever have the space, I may have to "borrow" a few of your ideas :) The shelves in particular are beautiful. I also loved how you personalized the theatre itself by branding it with a little easter egg (Holomax) from one of your favorite movies - I'd love to do some shootouts to my favorites in my future dream theater.

Volker

Auditioning
Real Name
Volker
Dale, thank you for sharing the pictures of Holomax. It looks gorgeous ! Your pictures convinced me to go with double seats in both rows instead of trying to squeeze a 3 seater in the back. Could you also share a few more details on the size of the room and the equipment you have in it ? I have the feeling that your sizing is similar to the space I have available.

MikeGee

Second Unit
Nice home theater! I looked but i didn't notice if you mentioned your room dimensions and screen size?I love your seats!

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Wow, thanks for all the kind words. This was definitely a passion project!

As for the room measurements, my memory was a little hazy, so I've just gone and remeasured. The room is 18 foot long, 11 foot wide. The screen is a 116" (diagonally) Seymour 1.2 Gain Centre Stage Screen.

Here's my equipment list:

[*]JVC DLA-X55 Projector
[*]116" Seymour 1.2 Gain Centre Stage Screen
[*]Onkyo TX-NR3010 Receiver
[*]KEF iQ90s x2 (Fronts)
[*]KEF iQ60c (Centre)
[*]KEF iQ30s x4 (Front Heights and Surround Back)
[*]KEF Q800ds x2 (Surrounds)
[*]Monolith-DF+ (Subwoofer)
[*]Oppo BDP-93EU - BD Player (Region Free Modded)
[*]Toshiba HD-EP35 - HD DVD Player
[*]Darbee Darblet DVP 5000
[*]Van Damme Concert Grade Speaker Cable
[*]Fisual Easy Fix Banana Plugs
[*]Sonos Play5 (Wireless Music System)
[*]Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote
[*]XpanD X105 Lite RF Glasses (optimised for JVC Projectors) x4
[*]Plugable USB 2.0 10 Port Hub
[*]AudioQuest Pearl HDMI Cables + Monster HDMI Cables
[*]Lutron GRAFIK Eye Lighting Control System
[/list]
The seats are Stressless Home Theatre Legends: http://international.ekornes.com/home-theatre/stressless-legend They won an award for being the most comfortable home theatre chairs.

I also upgraded the projector mount recently to one that holds the projector flush to the ceiling, looks amazing.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
What are you running the Darblet at? Ive found 45 on hi def is about perfect for my RS60 but always curious what others use.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Type A said:
What are you running the Darblet at? Ive found 45 on hi def is about perfect for my RS60 but always curious what others use.
Funnily enough... Hi Def 45! I've done hours and hours of fine tuning with my whole system. For a while there it was set-up at 50, but I've recently decided to take it down a notch. I feel it's a superb device, everyone should try one.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I'd say so Andretti and I tend to like quite a pure, unmolested image. But set 45, the darblet enhances the image, making it more vivid without unwanted artefacts.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I like the little curved feature at the front and all the tiny lights fitted around it and elsewhere around the room and wood features on between the darkly painted coloured walls.

What typeface and template you use to cutting out the letters for HOLOMAX. Was it made out of wood or plastic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks