Holodeck front wall colour now black

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Neil Joseph, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    ... and what a difference it made to the perceived contrast ratio and overall impact of this 96" image [​IMG] If I had known this, I would have done it much sooner than I did.

new picture
    [​IMG]

2. George Balzer

George Balzer Auditioning

That looks great Neil. Not sure what colour was on the wall before, but I bet it reflected much more light than the black. What paint did you use? I have found Tremclad flat black (alkyd) works great. I currently have this paint on my proscenium and after seeing your theatre, I plan to do behind the proscenium as well.

3. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Awesome homie! Made a big difference in appearance, I bet it made the same impact when watching movies.

4. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

It looks AWESOME! [​IMG]
    It's amazing what a lil paint will do .

btw Neil, how do you like the Sony VPL11 you have? I have yet to pick out a projector for my room and the Sony HS20 and VPL12 are at the top of my list if I go with LCD over DLP.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Thanks. I will try to get a better picture. I took this late at night in a rush to get it posted here.

The 11HT is great. Obviously there are better projectors especially today. The 12HT and HS20 are nice units. If you can get them at a good price then go for it.

I knew that it would make a difference even before I made the change. I just did not realize it would have this much impact though.

6. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

The projector Neil has is really good. I saw a demo of it at a Sound Waves store out here. And the colors were excellent. And the blacks looked black to me, I didn't see any grey in them at all. They were playing finding Nemo, on a Denon dvd player, 84' dalite screen. I don't know how much of a difference all that made, but it looked great.

And I bet they didn't calibrate it with a VE or Avia dvd either, and it still looked really good. I just don't have the $3500 dollars they wanted for it. sheesh.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    [​IMG]

My life's mission now is to see the "big juice" with a nice FP setup. There should be projectors that can throw out an even better image and be had for cheaper prices. Keep poking around and get some demos done.

8. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

:laugh You and me both. First thing I have to do is get some HT chairs. I returned my sofas because they never serviced them right. So as of right now, my theater is completely empty. All my stuff is in the living room now.

So soon as I find some good furniture with cup holders, for a good price, The Big Juice will be back in bisness [​IMG] .