Holmes & Yoyo (1976) is coming on DVD...to Germany

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Something so obscure and universally panned, I thought it stood absolutely zero chance of a release, is coming to DVD in Germany in 2021:

https://www.pidax-film.de/Serien-Kla...oyo::1987.html

Even though they only list German in the language options, this isn't necessarily true. If they're smart, they'll include un-subtitled English at least as an option, for anyone who'd want to import this thing!

Now, when something this obscure gets a release somewhere in the world, it makes me at least dimly hopefully that someone will decide that Cliff-Hangers! is worth taking a chance on!

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Something so obscure and universally panned, I thought it stood absolutely zero chance of a release, is coming to DVD in Germany in 2021:

https://www.pidax-film.de/Serien-Kla...oyo::1987.html

Even though they only list German in the language options, this isn't necessarily true. If they're smart, they'll include un-subtitled English at least as an option, for anyone who'd want to import this thing!

Now, when something this obscure gets a release somewhere in the world, it makes me at least dimly hopefully that someone will decide that Cliff-Hangers! is worth taking a chance on!
God Bless you Andy. It seems other countries love American tv programs more than Americans do.

--james

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the info.
Elephant Films released this series a few years ago. Unfortunately, unlike with some of their other DVDs, they did not offer the English audio; only French. Hopefully this German set will include English as an option. I've never seen it but would like to check it out.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I remember watching this as a kid. I don't think I've thought about it in over 40 years.

Reactions: Darby67

LouA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Any other obscure shows being issued there?
a while back it was reported here that Iron Horse would be released in France , but so far no trace!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Any other obscure shows being issued there?
a while back it was reported here that Iron Horse would be released in France , but so far no trace!
Germany's a good bet for some shows that get left-behind in their countries of origin, especially when it comes to blu-ray. For instance, they've released all seasons of the Hawaii Five-0 reboot on blu-ray (which stalled-out in the US after the third season), and there are several UK television dramas that only got DVDs in the UK but got blu-rays in Germany. Oh yeah, Germany gave us the original full-length episodes of the original UK Ali G Show on DVD, which only got best-of releases in the UK.

Australia is a good place to look, too. They gave us Buck Rogers on blu-ray long before Kino Lorber did, and they also gave us worldwide exclusives of the short-run TV shows Darkroom and Fantastic Journey.

Reactions: Darby67 and LouA

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Australia also gave us the original versions of the S1 "McCloud" episodes and "The Law And Harry McGraw" (my only two foreign release purchases).

Reactions: Darby67 and LouA

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I remember liking the little bit of this show that I saw. When I was in fourth grade, Holmes & Yoyo made the cover of "Weekly Reader." I remember my teacher commenting that if she happened to catch the show on TV, she'd probably just turn it off.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
Thanks for the info.
Elephant Films released this series a few years ago. Unfortunately, unlike with some of their other DVDs, they did not offer the English audio; only French. Hopefully this German set will include English as an option. I've never seen it but would like to check it out.
I'm always curious when a foreign release of a US TV show (or film) doesn't have an English track. I suppose it depends on what existing transfers they have access to, but it suggests that they aren't getting them from the original studio.

I have a hard time thinking about Holmes & Yoyo without thinking of Future Cop as well, since they were one of those examples of the same idea being done by two different companies at the same time. It also makes me think of the fact that the human/robot buddy cop idea seems to come up every 10 years or so. These two in 1976-1977, Mann & Machine in 1992 (still my favorite of this sub-genre), Total Recall 2070 in 1999, and Almost Human in 2013.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
Germany's a good bet for some shows that get left-behind in their countries of origin, especially when it comes to blu-ray. For instance, they've released all seasons of the Hawaii Five-0 reboot on blu-ray (which stalled-out in the US after the third season), and there are several UK television dramas that only got DVDs in the UK but got blu-rays in Germany. Oh yeah, Germany gave us the original full-length episodes of the original UK Ali G Show on DVD, which only got best-of releases in the UK.

Australia is a good place to look, too. They gave us Buck Rogers on blu-ray long before Kino Lorber did, and they also gave us worldwide exclusives of the short-run TV shows Darkroom and Fantastic Journey.
I didn't realize that Darkroom was released in Australia. I remember catching some episodes back when it was on, but I've been interested in tracking it down because there's an episode written by a favorite writer of mine, Alan Brennert.

Germany is definitely the best place when it comes to American, Canadian, or British shows on BD that aren't released on BD in their home countries.

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I've seen John Schuck play a doctor in Altman's "M*A*S*H", and a Klingon in Star Trek IV, and yet my 70's TV childhood still sees Yoyo.
(Even though I don't think I ever finished the first episode.)

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
When the 13 episode series The Master starring Lee Van Cleef and Timothy Van Patten actually got a frigging BLU RAY release from Kino in America, not even Europe or Austraila....well, honestly, nothing shocks me anymore.

You bet I bought it. The series was ridiculous.

I actually remember liking Holmes and Yoyo when it aired. Granted, I was 9....

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
When the 13 episode series The Master starring Lee Van Cleef and Timothy Van Patten actually got a frigging BLU RAY release from Kino in America, not even Europe or Austraila....well, honestly, nothing shocks me anymore.

You bet I bought it. The series was ridiculous.

I actually remember liking Holmes and Yoyo when it aired. Granted, I was 9....
Your nine year old self was a probably a pretty good judge of quality.
--james

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info.
The website only lists German soundtrack.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The website only lists German soundtrack.
True. Sometimes, though, German discs include English soundtracks that might not necessarily be listed in the online descriptions, so that gives a little hope they'll have it on there. If it was available to them, it would have been foolish to leave it off, since having it there is good for export sales, and for purists who like to watch shows in their original languages.

Maybe there'll be a 'pack shot' on amazon.de in due course, or someone will take a gamble and buy it, then post a review!

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hopper
Starsky & Hutch meets The Six Million Dollar Man.​
Funny how some Universal series highlight the technology of the day: Gemini Man, Holmes & Yoyo.​
I always like when Yoyo takes pictures with his nose and ejects a polaroid from his shirt pocket.​
“The Bunco Squad. The Bunco Squad. The Bunco Squad.”​
And guess who wrote the music for H&Y? He previously composed for Combat!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
True. Sometimes, though, German discs include English soundtracks that might not necessarily be listed in the online descriptions, so that gives a little hope they'll have it on there. If it was available to them, it would have been foolish to leave it off, since having it there is good for export sales, and for purists who like to watch shows in their original languages.

Maybe there'll be a 'pack shot' on amazon.de in due course, or someone will take a gamble and buy it, then post a review!
3 shows which I really wanted only had German language audio, Pistols 'n' Petticoats, Run Buddy Run and Kentucky Jones, one of the rarest shows of the 60s.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cobrajetken