What's new

Hollywood, will you PLEASE retire the Wilhelm scream!? (1 Viewer)

George See

Second Unit
I think it's interesting to spot the scream and be in on the joke, but by the same token when it's used in a serious scene like helms deep, or over used like ROTK it kinda takes me out of the moment. But it's very brief and i'm back in the moment with the scream behind me pretty quickly.
And that video on theforce.net is great I downloaded it a while ago, I think any movie fan would find the clip very interesting.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I thought I was the only one!!!:) I will take ya back even further. The infamous Wilhelm scream can be heard in the 1954 production of "Them" when a soldier in the sewer tunnels beneath Los Angeles is buried by the roof caving in on him. I have heard it many, many, many countless times since then. Even though it doen't "ruin" a movie for me, I notice it every time it is used!!

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
This is too funny... now I will probably find myself listening for it LOL

The education never stops does it

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I guess that "retire" might be a bit too strong, but it seems that the guy who runs that Wilhelm Scream site would love to get this damned scream in every possible movie that he can. Again, I have to go back to the "overplayed song" scenario, and that's really what the Wilhelm Scream is rapidly approaching. I have no problem with maintaining a piece of Hollywood history, but doing it by shoving this nails-on-blackboard screech into every possible movie is NOT the way to honor its history. I actually did roll my eyes both of the times that I heard it in in ROTK because the scream was immediately identified as being in yet ANOTHER movie.

It certainly doesn't ruin an entire movie. I don't think there is anyone with any common sense who would say, "Oh, I hate that movie because of a 2-second scream." But when it comes out and strikes you to the point that you actually get pulled out of the movie (even for a split second) because (A) it's annoying :D and (B) you recognize it from so many other movies, THAT is going too far IMHO.

The Wilhelm scream is now immortal. It's too prevalent in way too many movies. To keep trying to get it into more and more Hollywood movies under the guise of "keeping the scream alive" (or whatever he says) is somewhat disingenuous. If anything, it will devalue the scream's intrigue in the annals of movie history because most people will be able to say, "Oh, that scream again" every time a new action movie comes out.

Again, my opinion, but I think the fact that I even felt the need to start this thread should be a testament to how overused the Wilhelm is.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Ok I downloaded the movie and yes I reckognise it but I can't say I was ever bothered by it.The screeching sound that the Ringwraits[sp?]and their damned horse and dragons are doing in LOTR is infinitelly more annoying in all three films.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Hmm. I was expecting something really special. To me it sounds like an utterly unremarkable scream. I don't know how you guys even recognize it when you hear it.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I really noticed the Wilhelm scream in ROTK, and really wish it weren't there. However, I still almost laugh myself silly thinking about a suggestion a friend of mine made:

"The Ring" spoilers:
He suggested they should have used the Wilhelm scream everytime someone was killed by Samara and they zoom in on them before the "static." Just thinking about the opening scene and the scene where the guy dies (sorry don't remember his name) and mentally inserting the Wilhelm scream cracks me up everytime!!! :D Thankfully, I'm able to block the sound from my mentality when actually watching the movie though, hehe.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I am glad I am not the only one sick of this scream. Homage, or not, it was recorded so fricken' long ago, I want some new fandangled scream! We've advanced so far in technology since the 50's, I am sure they can record a new scream sound effect!

Another scream effect I am tired of hearing that isn't AS overused, but enough to bother me is the one in Wag the Dog when they are editing a video of fake footage of a war they made up. I believe it was Kirsten Dunst running through some rubble carrying a baby. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

And, has anyone else noticed explosion sounds that are mixed with a cougars's cry? I think I heard that in T3's crane scene. Didn't bother me, but I am pretty sure I have noticed this kind of mixing of sound effects before, using animal cries. Weird.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
The first time I heard it was in Star Wars when a stormtrooper falls in the Death Star. Ever since then, when I hear it, I think of Star Wars. It did pull me out of The Two Towers for a moment. But, it was a moment when I remembered first seeing Star Wars, so it can't be a bad moment.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Just got back from seeing ROTK with a friend. It was my second viewing but his first. I had played for him the compilation of Wilhelm screams linked in this thread, so now he too knows that sound all too well. He busted out laughing when Wilhelm made his second appearance in ROTK but he missed the first.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Best scream ever.

It does take you out of a movie for about a second, but when you know it, it's like a good friend coming over for a visit. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks