Hollywood Video

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Kanyak, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

Hollywood Video has a 2 for $20 on previously viewed dvd's. A great selection in my hometown.

2. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Makle sure you csll the store first. Mine isn't doing the promo until Sept 10th. I hate it when coprorate stores decide to do everything different!!!! I mean I don't see Target, Bestbuy, Circuit City, etc, etc, etc, etc doing things differently from store to store. What makes it so FRICKIN difficult to do the same thing.

I have finally came to the sudden conclusion regarding these pitiful companies. F'em!! They obviously are not consumer oriented so they can kiss my $$$ goodbye.

What a JOKE!

3. BooneG

BooneG Stunt Coordinator

I work at Hollywood Video and we are running the 2 for 20 sale. This is the best sale I have seen in a long time. The sale is running until the end of Oct. when we will start a 3 for 33 sale. If you keep up with the release lists at all this is what you can get (keep in mind that the dates that we release a movie as a PV will vary)

Aug. 26th: Collateral Damage, Resident Evil, and DragonFly

Sep. 2nd: LotR, Deuces Wild, and Supertroopers

Sep. 9th: The New Guy, Showtime.

Sep. 16th: The Sweetest Thing, Van Wilder, Joe Somebody, and Return to Neverland

The list goes on but I'm pretty sure that you can figure out when the movies drop.

PS: At my Hollywood video we have the inserts and I clean the discs and put them into keepcases. I take pride in my PV's.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

5. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

You're a good man BooneG. My wife works there and the extra % off is a nice treat!!!

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Speaking of Hollywood Video, what's the going rate for DVD rentals in your area? Everything in the location I go to is 99 cents for five days. When I tell friends and co-workers, they think I'm lying.

7. Mark Richter

Mark Richter Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

I too live in Chicago
    Which Hollywood Video do you go to?
    What streets??

8. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

The one on Rand and Arlington HTs road in Arl Hts has .99 rentals, and that includes tax!! What a deal!

9. Mark Richter

Mark Richter Stunt Coordinator

Ahh a little far for me in Berwyn
    Thanks for the info
    mine doesn't do that promo here [​IMG]

10. Brian G

Brian G Extra

Have them do a price match Mark[​IMG]

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Troy,
    Funny to see posts on HTF from my home town of Palatine, Ill. Odder still to know exactly where that Hollywood video is on Rand/Arlington HTs.
    Of course whenever I miss Palatine, I just go out and use my Weber [​IMG] Made in Palatine, Ill ... hehe

12. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I live in the south burbs. The store I go to is in Homewood. I guess it helps that there is a Family Video store directly across the street. Friends of mine that go to Hollywood locations just a few miles away pay better than three bucks for a DVD. Tonight I had three DVD's due back, but I hadn't watched two of them. I'm just keeping them for another five days...only $1.98 total. [​IMG]

13. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

All dvds are $.99? Even new releases? I go to the store in West Chicago (the town) and have paid the normal.

14. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Yes. All DVD releases are 99 cents for five days, even new releases. This place does a booming business and I don't think they have enough hired help because many times the new releases aren't even returned to the shelves. They have enormous boxes behind the counter that they stack returned DVD's in. 90% of the time if I don't see a DVD on the shelf, I can go and ask if a copy is in and they pull one out of the return boxes. Probably hurts their turnover rate on rentals, but it helps me get the films I want. [​IMG]

15. TomJD

TomJD Agent

Picked up Mullholland Dr and The Royal Tenenbaums last night.Titles don't come with inserts. Some other titles I saw were
    Zoolander
    Training Day
    Sexy Beast
    Jimmy Neutron
    From Hell
    Bandits
    Seredipity
    The Others
    Atlantis
    A really good selection.Might stop back to pick up Jimmy Neutron for my daughter and something else.If this is going on till october I definitely will pick up a few more.Watched Mullholland Falls,disc is perfect.

16. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

So why don't all stores put the inserts back like Boone does? Do they toss them when they set up the rental displays? I know some rental versions are packed differently (like if the retail version comes in a cardboard folding case like Moulin Rouge, the rental has an insert that fits in an Amray case).

Bought Shallow Hal, Snow Dogs, and The Majestic; none had an insert in the case.