Hollywood Video Used Sale

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Arnie G, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

I went into my local Hollywood & they have a 4 DVD for $30 sale. I don't know if is nationwide or not. I got Dark Blue, Hours, Tears of the Sun, & Phonebooth. They also had Adaptation but no Chicago yet.

2. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Here is there current special per the corporate website:

http://www.hollywoodvideo.com/specials/pv_spotlight.asp

States 2 for $20. BUT!

"Offers may not be combined. Limit five copies of any one title on all offers. DVD offers apply to the purchase of two or more qualifying DVDs and exclude VHS movies and Games. 4 for $20 VHS offers apply to all purchases of 4 or more qualifying VHS movies and the fourth movie must be of equal or lesser value and excludes DVDs and Games. Limited time offers. Offers may vary by store, see stores for details."

So what does "qualifying DVDs" mean?

And offers vary by store and see store for details.

So in other words check your store before heading out.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Most stores are 2 for $20, but someone else also reported finding 4 for $30 at a local store. I checked one store in town and it was 2 for $20. There is another store I might check, but I expect it will be the same. I have to admit, I would probably find four titles I wanted for $30.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Is it just me, or are some of these DVDs not even rented out? I've noticed that the rentals are shrinkwrapped in the rental cases (with the plastic lock bar on the side), while other DVDs are shrinkwrapped and have the normal Amaray cases. Is it safe to assume that some haven't been rented out, and represent a decent bargain?

I noticed quite a few of "Talk to Me" DVDs in the normal Amaray cases, while many popular DVD titles are in the rental cases.

5. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

I don't know about the ones in the rental cases but some I got are pristine. It's too bad you can't look at the disc before buying it.[​IMG]

6. Jerry_Wh

Jerry_Wh Extra

Lots of them are pristine even if they have been rented a few times, really depends on the renters (often you can make an educated guess based on the title, like 8 Mile - that'll be scratched up and mistreated, but The Hours - that will be in mint condition).

But, being in a lockbox versus a real case only tells you if the shrink-wrapper/shelf-stocker was in a hurry or not. If they are in a hurry, they just keep the disc in the lockbox. Which sucks for buyers, but at least HV's lockboxes look a little better than Blockbuster's, who always use lockboxes in their corporate stores because, well, they like to waste money.

7. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

At the one I frequent, most of the DVDs are in regular Amarays.

What I love about Hollywood Video is that you can get Warner DVDs in Amarays instead of the snapper cases.

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well whatever the price there's no escaping the fact that the stores are drowning in Previewed DVD Product.

9. Jerry_Wh

Jerry_Wh Extra

Yep, they sure are. Word is that MovieGallery will be doing their 4-for-2 sale starting the 20th and their prices are often pretty low to begin with. I picked up numerous sets of 4 DVDs for under $20 during the last MovieGallery sale. Hollywood and Blockbuster are going to have start getting more agressive if they don't want to end up buried in PVDs. Ironically, Blockbuster seems to have been jacking their PVD prices up recently -- all newly PVD movies were $16.99 and up in the Boston area, a couple oddball titles were even $19.99.

10. StevenJ

StevenJ Stunt Coordinator

Just because the PV is in a locking case doesn't mean that it hasn't been rented that much. It means that they ran out of alpha cases. It has to us all the time. In fact I go to work in an hour and I'll bet that we will not have enough alphas to use.

11. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I picked up Ghost in the Shell and Spriggan for $20 at my Hollywood. Not a bad deal considering that its tough finding good deals on pre-viewed Anime.