What's new

Hollywood Video starting 3/$25 today on used rentals. (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
HV is starting a new sale today.

Apparently, all used stock will be divided into $5.99, $7.99 (or 3/$20), and 3/$30 tables.

They were setting it up yesterday and gave me the advance word.

Kinda suspect that only the unknown junk will be $5.99, but might be worth a look.

Might be a few good deals at the $8 price point.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Stopped back and picked out 5 titles from the $5.99 table:

- Diamond Men (70's-feel crime film)

- Love Liza (Philip Seymour Hoffmon, drama)

- Invincible (weird Nazi/nightclub movie, Tim Roth)

- Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys (coming of age movie, Kieran Culkin)

- Enigma (older version with bad A/V, but it's only $6)

Not expecting miracles at this price point (stronger titles seem to have poorer A/V, while weaker titles have better A/V).

Just a heads up -- Went to Hollywood Video today (8-24-04) in Bethlehem, Pa. the manager indicated that the 3 for $25 is going to end in 3 days, and they will be 3 for $30.00

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My local store has already ended the 3/25.00 for 3/30.00. Fortunately I made several purchases under the former sale last week.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
All $7.99 titles should also be 3/$20.

Might double back and see if I can get 'Identity', Kate & Leo', and 'LB2' at this price point.

Not sure if these are marked $8, alot of stuff wasn't tagged yet on my last visit.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Was just in one of my local Hollywood Videos (Latham, NY) over lunch hour and their previously viewed were 3/$30.

I've got several different HVs in the area and they are not all usually on the same page when it comes to PV.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Quick review: the movie's as good as you've heard and the transfer isn't that bad (almost enhances WWII feel). The only really poor looking parts are the flashbacks (softened on purpose I imagine).

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Quick review: very much worth $6, fascinating period drama with an almost hypnotic visual presence.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Noticed that some of the previous 3/$25 are now in the 3/$20 or 3/$30 bin. If your not shopping for price, things could equal out depending on what you buy.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Quick review: decent adolescent drama, cool animation sequences break-up the kid's daily trials; if you went to Catholic school, got in trouble with your misfit friends, or read comic books, there's something here for you.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
DLoAB was a pretty good movie, but I was kinda put off by the Climactic Event, which I found very contrived and completely unbelievable.

The story behind the original novel is interesting. Apparently, the author was very young, and it was his first book, but he died of (IIRC) cancer before it was released (or something like that).

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I read some reviews that indicated the movie exceeded it's grasp, but I have to disagree mostly.

When people talk about poor decisions on the part of young people, you often hear about 'natural consequences'.

That's exactly what occurred and it seemed believable enough to me.

Play with fire, get burned.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Quick review: Despite having the worst cover art ever, this is another keeper. This *is* a heist movie, but you'll have to wait well into the picture before anything gets lifted. What you see initially is older salesman training a younger guy and their struggle to work/deal/live with each other. Fortunately, the acting is good and mostly on target.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Made one more sweep thru HV and decided to take a chance on 'Live from Baghdad' for $6.

Didn't know this was an HBO movie, but it's suppose to be a great performance by Keaton.

Maybe they'll do a companion piece about the second Gulf War someday.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Quick review: while the birth of CNN doesn't seem like fertile source of high drama, Keaton infuses this flick with incredible energy. You can almost forget the historical backdrop and just watch Keaton's news crew surf the Middle East madness. Not bad.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
3/$25 is baaaack!

Pick-up Hidalgo, Cold Mountain, and Man on Fire.

Think about PotC & Walking Tall...hoping The Alamo will be available next week.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, I was there yesterday. My main interest is picking up Kill Bill V2. Nothing else I saw interested me.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Coolness. I was just there the other day and took advantage of the 3/$20 sale. Now I can hit 'em up for the titles that are marked over $10. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks