What's new

Hollywood Reporter's view on our home theater future (1 Viewer)

JackKay

Second Unit
I'm sorry, once again I'm putting up a link. But, this is important. Thanks to Hollywood Reporter allowing Non-subscribers, like me, access to some of their more in depth articles we can look into some studio board rooms and see what the last year has done for them and how they will move in this coming year.

A very interesting read! For good or bad, here it is:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1000761271

And here it is:

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

I have edited your post. Since the link points to the article, it is best if we don't reprint the whole thing here (especially without permission). Thanks for your cooperation.

I think the article is interesting, but I couldn't help being confused by the headline the first time $29.95 instead of $29.95billion.

JackKay

Second Unit
Vince, Yes I would bet you are right. About the headline, I guess its because it is a trade newspaper.

After thinking about the article, and 2 or 3 beers, I can't help thinking about the last two paragraphs. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe there are test markets on VOD taking place in many markets. It is like they are tiring to imitate the Intenet. Lets say some day you come home late from work. You use VOD to watch the local 5 O clock news. Not only can you watch it at any hour, but you can pick the stories you want to see and possibly expanded versions. With rentals slowing and DVD sales and trading increasing it seems the studios will want to slowly push aside the SD DVD market to VOD (like the article says) "taking unprecedented action to collapse the home video industry's sacred first-to-market sales and rental window". Video On Demand may become the Standard Definition's new home eventually, who knows. The Studio's may be doing there best to push the new High Definition Formats by pushing SD movies (DVD's) into a new window.

The gears of industry are rolling, I can hear them.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Let's see. People are voting with their dollars in favor of DVD ownership, and against rental.

So Hollywood's "solution" to this "problem" is to come up with another form of rental (VoD)?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Hey this would mean that they sold exactly 1 DVD all year...probably to someone shopping at a Sam Goody if the price is to be believed.

Said it before, and will again...I hate the idea of VOD give me something I can hold in my hands like...a DVD for example.

I can see VOD as being something I'd use as a renter, instead of the mail order or bricks & mortar places - but there's no way it'd replace ownership of actual product. I think anyone at the studios who forsees getting rid of product in favor of electronic distribution of any kind has missed the entire reason for the DVD phenomenon. Of course, the suits continually demonstrate their cluelessness about the reasons for DVD's success - so it's no real surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks