What's new

Hollywood North (1 Viewer)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Does anyone have the specs for this dvd? I've searched around and none of them list the specs for this dvd.

Also, online sites such as amazon.ca, dvdsoon.com and cnl.com all list a Canadian version coming out on April 6. Does anyone know what the differences between these two versions will be?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Saw it via Netflix. It's not a bad little movie!

If I remember correctly it was bare-bones and full-frame.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Tom,

I watched my copy of "Hollywood North" tonight. It's actually widescreen. The back of the jacket strangely says "1.85:1", and right below it, "Full Screen". (Though there is no full-screen version on it.)

The odd thing is that I have a 4:3 TV, and the DVD player has always been set to 4:3 display, which shows a letterboxed film properly. However, in this instance, when I popped in the disc, there was like a double letterboxing effect -- a light gray border, surrounded by the usual black letterboxing border. The picture appeared stretched. I had to go into the DVD player menu to choose "16:9", which allowed the film to show properly letterboxed on my 4:3 set. I've seen this noted before for some DVDs at some Asian retailers as such:

"Film notes: The picture may appear as Full-Screen, unless shown on a 16:9 television. If the picture appears to be slightly stretched horizontally on 4:3 televisions, set the TV mode to 16:9 and the picture will display correctly. Viewers with a 16:9 setup will not have this problem."

I think it's only the 2nd time ever I had to change the display setting on the DVD player for proper letterboxed viewing. (In this instance, the picture never appeared as Full-screen, but had the strange double letterboxing and stretched picture.)

Why does this strange stretching occur on a small minority of DVDs which requires that the display setting be changed?

Anyway. . .the only extras are trailers for "Hollywood North", "The Bone Snatcher" and "Between Strangers".

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I'm going to take my chances on the Canadian version then. It can't be any more bare than this right?...now just hope they don't release it in fullscreen only...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks