Hollywood is about to get more nervous

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John_Berger, Jan 7, 2004.

1. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Courtesy of CNN

Personally, I think that this is a really cool way of watching our DVD collection for times like when we travel. I'm sure that Hollywood's lawyers are already gearing up for a lawsuit.

2. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Don't be too sure abot Hollywood's concerns.....

First, what can you do with material once it is on the device? Can you then off-load back to a DVD recorder or computer, or whatever? And if so, what will the quality be?

Heck I would still love this device even if it only allowed me to delete material off of the device.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Stunt Coordinator

4. Robyn Young

Robyn Young Stunt Coordinator

5. Dan Kaplan

Dan Kaplan Stunt Coordinator

Good. Hopefully, this will be the end of Macrovision as we know it, so my projector's colors don't fluctuate needlessly during playback.

Dan

6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg

I think it's a cool idea. I just got an iPod for Christmas and I love it. The way the Apple people got around copy protection lawsuits was to make it impossible to transfer songs off of the iPod. You can use it as a hard drive to store data, but you can't access any of that data without a computer. The only thing it can do is play songs, and it can only do that playing songs loaded into it through the software it comes with. You can take any MP3 (even ones not encoded with their software) and put it on there, and you can use the software to see what you already have on the iPod, but you can't copy songs from it - so I can't go to my friend's house and let them download hours of music off it. That seems a fair way to protect the copyright. If something similar was done for these movie devices, I'm sure that would be fine. If anything, if these things catch on I wouldn't be surprised if studios bundled in portable device-ready compressed versions that can be downloaded directly into your device. (Keeping, of course, the higher bitrate version of the movie meant to be seen on your TV.)

I'm sure anyone who has a public transit commute of a half hour or more would love to have one of these things - how nice would it be to unwind and watch an episode of "M*A*S*H" or something on the way home? (Of course, that might lead to the unusual situation of having a bunch of people on a train laughing outload to themselves which could be amusing in and of itself.)

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Which, of course, was defeated within the first hour. There are hundreds of apps which will let you pull files back off the ipod. If you browse it like a drive, you can also directly copy the files (they won't be named correctly, but...)