Holly Smokes...Die Another Day DD track is HOT!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Shelly, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I got this movie last night and watched it. This has to be one of the loudest mixes I have ever heard be it DD or DTS. Reference level on my system is 18 and I had to turn it down to 25 and it was still to loud. Dialog was okay but the action scenes....WOW!!!

I wonder how they did it? I always thought DD had certain limitations? I don't know how many reviews I have read about DVD's with both DTS and DD and the bashed the DD track because of the formats limitions can be heard on this DD track. The DTS track is so much better...bla bla!! Die Another Day proves DD can deliver if it wants to.

Chris

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Chris, glad to see your eyes have been opened. In reality the difference between the 2 is negligable for the most part and most of the real difference comes down to the mixes used. Often, especially in the first few years of DVD DTS would use mixes they cooked to take advantage of their format. Now people are starting to realize that very often there is little to no difference.

The only exception I've found is LOTR:FOTR EE, the DD mix has the bass cranked outrageously and lacks the high end that the DTS mix has.

3. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Two common ways that the average levels can be cranked on a DD track are via dialog normalization and some form of dynamic range compression (typically peak limiting with look ahead limiters). The theatrical version DVD of LotR:FotR sounded like it used plenty of both. I don't like the sound of too much limiting/compression. Dialog normalization would increase the whole track by a certain number of decibels, so that doesn't sound like what Chris described with the Bond disc.

Regards,

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    So, Chris, did you try out the DTS track? Any comparisons?

6. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

This was one of the few movies that I have watched during its theatrical release that I found too damn loud. The action scenes had me wincing! But I won't lie to ya, I can't wait to hear the track on my own system![​IMG]

7. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

8. Jeff Kleist

9. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

The differences between DTS and DD have been minimized since the studios cut the DTS bitrate in half.

On laserdiscs, where the bitrate was substantially higher for DTS, the differences between DTS and DD were significant.

Charlie

10. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. I haven't picked up the DVD yet, but the theatrical mix was pretty insane. In both SRD, SR, SDDS, and DTS, we had to watch our fader's because this film was so stinking loud. The DTS mix was the loudest of the bunch: it was one of those "is that auditorium 4 again?"

AJG

11. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

12. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Wes is right. Some of the most agressive DTS mixes are half bitrate, such as Saving Private Ryan, the Haunting DTS, U-571, Fast and Furious DTS, and Gladiator. It's really in the mix. The DTS laserdiscs were mixed by DTS themselves and used a bitrate of 1235kbps, not fullbitrate like is typically believed. For dvd, the studios do the mixing. I still prefer DTS. It seems to me that the sound is just crisper and more alive. I think dolby suffers from the necessity to have to downmix to anything.

13. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

14. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The dolby digital is pretty cooked on FOTR, especially the LFE. Even so, I still prefer the DD on the original 2 disc set over the DTS on the EE.

15. Jeff Kleist

16. Paul_Stachniak

17. Jeff Kleist

Paul, that LFE busted my friend's TV speaker. It now rattles in its housing now. That was just LFE for the sake of LFE. Might I suggest "The Atomic Bomb Movie"?

18. Paul_Stachniak

So, I'm supposed to hate it because it ruined someone elses speaker?.

I'm sorry that happened with your friend, but I liked that effect.

Also, where might I get this "Atomic Bomb Movie"? [​IMG]

19. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I also prefer the FOTR:EE DTS mix to the theatrical DVD.

As for Die Another Day, I listened to it in DTS, and the quiet scenes were ok, but the action scenes were insanely loud. I guess it was designed this way by the filmmakers, but for me, it was an unpleasant experience.

20. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I don't think anyone's telling you to hate it. It's your call what you like and what you don't. The point is that the LFE on the Dolby Digital seems to be overcooked and does not seem to be true to the theatrical experience, at least not in the theater I saw it in. The DTS on the EE doesn't seem to be cooked and is smoother, so it may be that it is more theatrically accurate. I myself still prefer the DD on the 2 disk, the battle scenes are just outstanding demos, and I think it sounds just as involving as the DTS. Bring on the Two Towers DVD!!