What's new

HOLLLLLLLLLY WOOFAGE! My Stryke AV-12 is HERE! (1 Viewer)

SteveHood

Agent
Brett,

Unless there is something wrong with your specific Shiva driver then it must be how the measurements were done in your environment. If you are using an SPL meter, remember that moving the sub or the mike only a few inches can affect the SPL readings by a few DB, depending on the makeup of your room.

As long as you are willing to power it with 500W+ you will get a little more SPL's out of it (1-2db), but remember that the positioning of the sub in your room will have a much greater impact on your SPL readings.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Jack,

Any chance you could put the AV12s in your dipole baffle and let them rip? I've just bought 4 DPL12s and am curious if I should have spent the extra money, although the AV12s are twice the price.

Steve

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
all right i am not going to get in an argument about AMD, if i was going to go PC i would use AMD, Intel and Apple. because we all know what the better designs, OS, and suport is. hehehe :D
btw i saw your pic just fine the internet is platform ambigious. i guess it was the light , now i am having serious regreats about my tempest. oh well.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Steve,
I am not talking about in room measurements for the Shiva
or for the AV12 I am talking about running the manufacturers
specifications for each driver in the same enclosure with
the same porting and the same power figures in Win ISD Pro.
In WinISD it shows more output at the same power figures
for the AV12 not the Shiva.
That's why I was asking, I used Adires specs, and Stryke's
Specs and I come out with more output on the AV12.
Allen,
I know the internet is not platform specifit it was a joke!
:)
The pictures were taken with a halogen light and with natural
light.. The halogen lamp added a tinge of copperish color
to the aluminum cone when I took the picture that's what
happened! :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Any chance you could put the AV12s in your dipole baffle and let them rip? I've just bought 4 DPL12s and am curious if I should have spent the extra money, although the AV12s are twice the price.
I only have one AV12 and two holes in my baffle :D . I'll give it a try when I can, though, leaving one DPL12 in place and unwired. I really think the DPL12's are ideal for that app and unmatched in all but output.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Figuring I'd have my own Christmas morning fun, I just replaced the Shiva (or DPL-12) in my 5ft^3 EBS box (18Hz Fb w/ 4" flared port) with my AV12. Very cool! I was able to achieve the same levels (calibrated to 10dB below reference) I had before with "only" the 250 watts from my AVA250, which I didn't expect...maybe won't need that HS500 after all. The big benefit is that this driver just sails through those scenes (I tried chapters 10 and 17 from The Haunting) that had bottomed the Shiva/DPL-12. Sweet. :emoji_thumbsup:
Noticeable wind noise, though, with incredible amounts of air moving in the port, so I'm definitely going ahead with the PR design. One interesting option is just putting the two 1400g 15" Lambda PR's in my current 140L box...16Hz Fb, 15Hz F3.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Jack

Interesting change out and power results.
Are you using a flaired 4" P-port, Aero, or just straight ends with a rounded over edge in the 5ft^3?

It must be pretty bad with you mentioning (very noticable wind noise at -10 under)....

Thanks
Geoff

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Ohh and for the 3D nuts...
Here are some more renders of my enclosure :)
Yeah I went ahead and modeled (as close as I am going to
bother with) the AV12... Yes I know, I didn't bolt it into
the enclosure yet... I have bolts modeled and ready to go..
LOL! I have to model the amp too :)
Check um out!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
It must be pretty bad with you mentioning (very noticable wind noise at -10 under)....
Well, it's noticeable, but I guess it's not that bad from the listening postion. I was pretty close watching the cool excursions. ;) I also have the port and driver front-mounted, so any noise will be as audible as possible (moreso, that is, than bottom or rear-facing ports). Certainly doesn't seem to be compressing at all, though.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I just bought another set of 6" flares. May need another sub. Actually I just bought 2 of adire's oem 'Vamp' subwoofer. its somewhat designed for the car. it has 16mm of x-max and a low vas. got two for $75. I think the fs is around 24hz.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Dammit Brett... seriously.
Now I have to go and model the inside of my sub and apply transparencies too. :)
Very nice job on the driver though! Mine wasn't nearly as complex.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Owen,
I am not happy with the driver so I am starting over.. This
time I will look more closely at the actual AV12 and see
how close I can get :)

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
alright Brett, here's a quick fix up showing the internals of my design. Yes, the driver is a big blue cone. :b

I hope that link works, my images sometimes don't, which I blame on geocities.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
I've already ordered a Stryke AV-12 (dual 2 ohms) and a PE 250 watt amp (#300-794). I'm having problems with WinISD beta with a vented design....it doesn't give me hardly any options. Can anyone assist me with the required enclosure volumes, port diameters and port lengths for various tuning frequencies?

As I want to keep the enclosure somewhat reasonable, I haven't decided exactly on the tuning frequency....something like 16, 18 or 20 Hz.

Thanks.

David

DavidY

Supporting Actor
1st option: 18 inch cube (external)...assuming 1" MDF...works to 2.37 cf before displacement.
2nd option: 18 inch cube (as above)...with 0.75" MDF...works to 2.60 cf before displacement.
Subject to change of course. :D

TonyiBe

Stunt Coordinator
I am bringing this thread up from the dead. I just recevied my AV12 & AV15 and want some input from some of you guys that already built the boxes. These subs look awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks