What's new

Holiday Inn Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
According to DVD Active a new "Holiday Inn" White Christmas Edition is to be released 10/10/06. They don't list extras so I checked the Laureatedvd.com site to see what details were on the UK version they put out thinking they might be the same and in the bulletin board section I found this comment from Ken Barnes (produced the DVD)-"I believe Universal have plans to release our SE of "Holiday Inn" later this year. At least that's the impression they have given me."
The extras on that disc are:
* A Couple of Song and Dance Men featurette, containing an interview with Ava Astaire MacKenzie
* All-Singing, All Dancing: Before & After
* Audio Commentary by film historian Ken Barnes with archive audio comments from Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby and John Scott Trotter
* Cast and Crew Profiles
* Theatrical Trailer
* Production Notes
Also came across this interesting bit (from 2004)-"I was in Los Angeles last September and met with George Feltenstein, head of Warner Home Entertainment. He told me that "Royal Wedding"
had been issued by some supermarket chain for ONE DOLLAR and had sold over 485,000 units. "We can't compete with that kind of marketing."
So it's unlikely that Warners will do it." Hopefully that will change. Laureate also had a nice version of Astaire's "Second Chorus" ready to go (with a deleted number by Astaire they got from Hermes Pan's estate) but that died too due to so many PD copies out there.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Unless they come out with a significant deleted scene from Holiday Inn, then it's just not worth buying again.

That's too bad about Royal Wedding. I've avoided buying that for years hoping for a better release. As far as I know every copy out there is garbage... I'd buy Warner's copy any day. They could at least put it in one of their box sets that would sell.

On a slightly different topic, Disney did a restoration on Nothing Sacred with Carole Lombard http://www.cinetech.com/html/news/mm800.html and I wish they'd release that on DVD too in R1, but no such luck.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Holiday Inn as a special edition! This was the first video I ever purchased over 20 years ago. I still have it. I absolutely will be buying this, it has always been one of my favorites. While I am pretty certain there are no deleted numbers from this film, I guess the bits of unused animated holiday footage no longer exist anymore otherwise they would have mentioned them as an extra.

And in regard to Second Chorus, if they have exclusive material such as a "deleted" Astaire number probably nodody has seen, I would think it would definitely sell!

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Has anyone seen this disc, yet?
I was wondering if the video was substantially improved and whether a double dip on this title was worth the extra $$.
Thanks in advance.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If the songs in Royal Wedding are still under copyright, they could always use that to crack down on the PD versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks