Holiday Horror - A DVD Massacre

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Will K, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

After a brutal work day yesterday, we came home to the usual: our 1-year-old dog's sweet little face greeting us from the front window.

Little did we know what horrors awaited us beyond the door. Just instead the door was a post-battlefield area of eviscerated DVD jackets, inserts, and cases. On the other side of the room, there was more of what remained of Unforgiven, The Haunting('63), and others. All in all, roughly 20 DVD's. There were too many pieces to count.

Of course, I instantly began screaming obscenities and she quickly cowered behind the sofa. I suddenly felt like Leland Palmer right at the end and the sheer rage lasted about two minutes. Though I wanted to kill her for about 30 seconds, she's fine...we would never truly hurt her, but this was the worst thing she had ever done. In four months since she's been "free," she never once bothered the DVD shelf.

Quite miraculously, the discs themselves are, at first survey, intact on their hubs--but the packaging is unsalvagable. I'm just grateful the more expensive box sets like Alien Quadrilogy and various TV shows higher up were spared.

Just thought I would share the horror.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    wow, that really sucks. but you arent totally out of luck, if you have an inkjet printer, you can go to www.dvdcoverart.com (membership based site) and download some covers for your chewed up packages, and get some empty dvd cases from target, that is if the discs are in good condition. best of luck.

CJ

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

Your dog is still teething at one year? I guess you learned the hard way that puppies and young dogs need something to chew on.

I had some plant samples I took for a science field trip laid out on my bed. It was stuff that only existed in swamp areas. I went to take a shower and when I came back, my dog was just finishing the last plant sample. I didn't tell my teacher that my dog ate my homework, instead I took plants and leaves from my garden and used it as my "swamp samples". He never noticed the difference.

My dog also ate my wallet up. Destroyed every card I had in there, but left my cash alone.

4. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Well, I don't know if she's actually still teething, but she has chew toys all over the house she actually uses when we're home. We were just stumped just how postal she went on the DVD's. She had destroyed shoes before, though.

Thanks for the tip, Christ. Undoubtedly, I'll be printing up at least a few.

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Will,

I'm guessing you and the SO work long hours and the puppy is home alone all day? Or that for whatever reason (out to dinner, activities outside the house, gym) she is left alone for a lot of the day?

If that's true, then the dog is very lonely and is desparate to get your attention. And since she can't get your attention by being good, she'll be a little naughty until she gets it. It's not random chance that she chose your DVDs, I'm sure she sees you pick them up and move them around a lot (they are important to you.) I'd also guess you have come home a few times to DVDs having been 'carried' to other areas of the house but not destroyed? That's how they start it, first they move it, then a little light biting, then full out destruction.

All dogs do this type of stuff, they are pack animals and cannot understand why you leave them home alone. We have to go to work and such but to dogs this just doesn't make any sense (being let alone is a punishment to them, esp. when young.)

So what can you do? Either leave the dog somewhere that she can't get to all your stuff, try not to leave her alone for too long, or maybe have a friend/neighbor look in on her. Usually this type of misbehaving stops after the dog is 18-24 months old.

What kind of a dog is she?

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

She was just telling you that you're spending too much time watching movies and not enough time with her. [​IMG]

7. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

We've been wondering why she growls at the Best Buy bags!

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I sympathize, but at least you could replace those DVD's and/or slipcovers if you wanted to shell out the cash. I had no such luxury several years ago when one of my Labs pulled a book out of my bookcase and obliterated it...leaving it shredded in about five thousand pieces. The book happened to be the baby book my mother had put together after I was born. All her written memories and testimonials, as well as several dozen photos...gone. Talk about heartbroken. [​IMG]

9. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I love our Lab, but he was a real pain the first year or so. He never touched a DVD (well, videotape at the time), but he did eat our couch, my shoes, a pair of jeans, a couple cages and a table.

Our first Jack Russell wasn't a chewer, but he was the most destructive. He was vindictive, and if he was mad at you he'd make a mess in the house. One time he was particularly mad at me, and "saved up" his urine all day. I took him out numerous times, but he never went. When I took him out for the last time that night, he ran right over and peed on my leg. I wsa furious and kicked him away. He came right back and started up again. This happened three or four times before he finally decided to let the rest go on the flagpole. He also ended up destroying our linoleum floor (conveniently about a month after the company that installed it went out of business), and ripped the tile down from our bathroom wall (that's only the tip of the iceberg). He's gone now.

Our second JRT is absolutely wonderful, and has been the least destructive of the bunch. The only thing she ever actually destroyed was when she chewed the frames of my glasses the very first night I got them. She only chewed on the ear rests so they weren't actually destroyed, but I was furious that she did it that very first night. To this day, I have no idea how she got to them. They were on top of a huge candle, which was on top of an end table, and were in the case. The candle, table, and case were all where we left them, but the glasses were laying on the floor in the morning with little bits of plastic laying around them.

10. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

The Devil made her do it.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

wow. I have a 7 or 8 month old springer pup, and he hasn't destroyed anything since some lampcords, a little nibble off the corner of a desk, and a tiny bit of a rail that I caught her so really no damage. I still wouldn't think of leaving her to run free all day, she stays in her big crate with an indestructable nylabone and happly chews all day long.

12. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

When he was a puppy, our Lab ate two of the "indestructible" Nylabones, each in under a day.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

my pup can eat the smaller nylabones in a day, but I got one of the bigger more expensive ones, it's more of a hard plastic than the other ones, almost like PVC, she's been working it over constantly for weeks and barely made a dent. There was a whole thread about nylabones a few months ago.

14. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I keep my dvds in a changer and don't really care about the boxes....but I love dogs. Check out my DVDs and if you need a box I have, let me know. My Scotties only want to eat cats[​IMG]

15. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

My dog ate my audio interconnects (4 of the 6 available to him). About a month later, while we were playing tug-o-war, I noticed little pieces of copper wire on the rope. I checked his mouth and found copper wire between his teeth - like dental floss. This is the same dog who ate about $2.25 in spare change when he was a youngster. He's a great dog, except for his appetite for metal objects[​IMG]