Holiday (Grant / Hepburn)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RoyM, Jan 30, 2006.

1. RoyM

RoyM Stunt Coordinator

Is Sony only releasing this as part of the Cary Grant box set? I can't seem to find any evidence that there will be an individual release of this DVD (or for at least this week anyway). I find this very strange since all of the other titles in the box set have previously been released individually, and I'm sure most Grant fans probably own all or most of those already. Since the set only seems to be a re-package of the previously available disks with the newly released title, does Sony really expect many people to buy the box set just to get the one new release?

I already have three of the four other titles, so I certainly have no plans to buy the box set, but I do still want to get Holiday. Does anyone know if Sony is going to release it as a stand-alone title at some later date?

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    To answer your first two questions, the answer is yes. I will not buy this boxset just to acquire "Holiday". I will wait as long as it takes until they release this title separately.

Crawdaddy

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'm with Robert here. Holiday is very high on my want list, but I'm not going to buy this boxset to get it.

4. willyTass

willyTass Second Unit

same in Australia- available as a separate and being PAL you get 576 lines of horizontal resolution

5. Frank*C

Frank*C Extra

I have all four of the previously released titles, but if the set is of newly mastered transfers, I'll double dip. A long shot for Sony, yet just releasing the titles in a decently priced set is a huge step in the right direction. Holiday is too big a classic not to have it's own release, but I also thought the same of Sunrise and the original Scarface.

6. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    As much as I want Holiday, I too will not re-buy the other Grant titles just to acquire it. The copy I have on my Tivo from TCM will do just fine until Sony does the right thing.

Rob

7. RoyM

RoyM Stunt Coordinator

I don't think they're remastered, or at least I haven't heard anything to that effect. Supposedly the bonus content on His Girl Friday was to be different, but I'm skeptical that's actually true - probably just a confusion in early reports. I'm reasonably sure they are just stuffing all of the old releases in a slip case along with the new one. Which in turn completely confuses me as to why they can't simply release Holiday as a stand-alone as well.

8. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Since I did not buy any of the previous individual releases I went ahead and bought this boxset. I cannot say what new features there are except that the back of the set does say that all five discs are "loaded with all new featurettes". May not be checking those out for a bit but I hope this information helps. Oh, and you also receive some collectible postcards.Gosh. Actually, there not that bad, some still shots and reproduction poster art.

9. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

DVD Beaver has screenshots. Apparently the transfers are slightly, not hugely improved. Fortunately the commentary and featurettes from the old His Girl Friday disc are carried over.

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well the transfers for the Awful Truth and The Talk of the Town are not compared to the previous release at all, and there is no mention of the missing dialogue, etc.