What's new

Holiday board games (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm a big fan of board games, and love to both give and receive them during the holidays. This year I'm giving my wife San Juan, as well as the Carcassonne expansions that we don't have. I'm hoping to receive War of the Ring.

What're you giving and hoping to receive?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My girlfriend loves Monopoly and is a big Mickey fan (since her name is Michele and everyone calls her Mickey for short), so I got her the Mickey Mouse Monopoly 75th Anniversary for Christmas.

Actually, funny story...I ordered the game and it came damaged. I emailed Boardgames.com and notified them of it and they sent me another. They said to hold onto the damaged one while they speak with UPS. This was over 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from them yet....maybe I'll end up with BOTH for the price of one! :D

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Don,
Those are both fun games. Here are a few others that I enjoy:

Card/tile laying:
- various Carcassonne games
- Metro (very fun and quick)

Card game:
- Bohnanza (a lot of deals and trading, 2-7 players)
- Munchkin games (only if you are familiar with D&D or TV space shows)

Train games:
- Empire Builder
- Ticket to Ride (similar strategy as Empire Builder but not as complex)

Board games:
- Settlers (I assume you already own this series of games)
- Puerto Rico (the most complex rules of the games I've listed so far but still easy to learn in

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Collectible card games, with a very few exceptions, really have no long term value. Sure you might get lucky and get something you can immedately turn around for $30-40 bucks on ebay, but over the years, the value is most likely going to decline.

I play a lot of TCG/CCGs, and have tons of cards around the house. My wife plays a bit too, but ultimately, she prefers board games because the rules aren't constantly changing, nor do you have to worry about constantly rebuilding your deck to combat the latest strategies. It's something I enjoy, but she doesn't.

Greg, thanks for the suggestions. We now have all of the regular carcassonne game and it's expansions, but haven't played Hunters and Gatherers or The City yet. We've also got Settlers and all of its expansions, but we mostly play just the base game. Puerto Rico we have too, it's great, and why I'm getting my wife San Juan. I'm hoping for Ticket to Ride under the tree.

Mark, thats awesome. I really enjoy monopoly too, and I think the themed ones are pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks