What's new

Hole in rubber surround of Driver :(? (1 Viewer)

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
I was screwing my sub(Dayton 15" DVC) into the new box I made for it and was being very impateint, not taking my time and slowly sinking the screws, I was also not being catious enough covering the driver with something while I screw and I slipped and put a slit in the rubber surround portion of the driver it is about 1" long perpendicular to the circumfrance of the driver.

Right now I have put a small piece of duct tape on the inside and outside of the driver. This does seem to be keeping the air in however, I'm concerned this is creating an unbalanced woofer which is either taking away from sound quality etc or could damge the sub.

Is there any way I can patch this, with a light weight epoxy, compound, etc???

Thanks,
"Bad Move" Adam

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
What we would call that in the old days is a bass port ...lol...

Well you can buy neopreme material some place hell even a bike repair patch may do the trick just dont over do the glue and patch as the surround-cone may be over weighted.

I have just used plain 100% silicone for my boo-boos in the car audio days and it always worked fine! so I would try that first if you still have the surround seam.

Just tape it from behind and use clear 100% silicone- let dry 24 hrs and boom your ready to roll....

Will

A

Anthony_Gomez

ummm...i have heard from others that the vapors from curing silicone is not very friendly on certain driver materials
YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks