Hole in Bass Response HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamieS, Mar 15, 2003.

1. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Hope this belongs here and not in setup thread.

I have Denon 1603, Paridigm Monitor 7s CC370 and Pw 2200 Sub. Room is 12 by 20. Sub is 3 feet from side wall 18 inches from back wall next to left speaker.

Crossover on reciever set to 80 HZ crossover on sub wide open at 150HZ. All speakers set to small.

When I run a low frequency sweep with AVIA I get a few little dips and bumps (not too bad) until about 80 HZ then I get a huge dip until about 65 HZ and then back up again.(USING RS sound meter)

Have I done something wrong in my setup or could it just be my room. I don't have HUGE choice in placement. I tried a few small changes but the hole is still there. Can anyone help me?

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jamie,

If the “hole” is really confined between 65 and 80Hz, I wouldn’t loose much sleep over it. That’s a very narrow slice – about 1/6-octave wide. Problems as narrow at that usually are barely audible – especially if it’s a dip in response.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I was just kinda concerned because the "hole" seemed to start right around the 80 HZ crossover. I thought maybe I had something messed up and no signal was going to the sub at the crossover. At 60 or so HZ i comes back nice and strong but it is a pretty big dip so I thought I better make sure it was not my setup.

5. FrantzM

FrantzM Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried to move your sub ever so slightly. Please do mark the inital position and do move the sub very carefully. Inches do count. Also be careful to be sure of exactly where you are taking the measurement. You usually do not get uniform frequency response over a large area by accident you have to aim for it and that involves most often than not more than one sub and precise equalization.

By the way I have not heard on this forum about a superlative and cheap equalizer, the Behringer DSP-8024. The things one can do with this equalizer are just flat-out incredible. I do not use to equalize the main system just the subs, (I am purist), sorry but for subs and at the price it is very difficult to do better if not impossible... It is completely digital and you can vary the phase of your sub with respect to the main spekaers by tenths of degrees( Actually it has a delay function from o to 2.5 seconds, the granulation is about 0.1 msec). It is a two-channel unit you can use two subs with it and equalize them separately... Incredible in my opinion and priced right... It is a professional product and comes with XLR OT Bantam not RCA, It has 31 bands and has a parametric equalilzer whereyou can adjust the frequencies by 1/60 th of an octave not 1/6 no typo 1/60 sixtieth.... Three bands on the Parametric side the price is out of this world... less than 250 US Dollars.

http://www.behringer.com/02_products...P8024&lang=eng

Oh!! it comes with a spectrum Analyzer and a fair one to boot... Its Sound Pressure Level meter is much better than the RS, Gals and Guys by Far...

It can accept a digital input!! as an option. I really would like to know the opinion of the collective on this unit. I will actually start a thread on this. I am so pleased with it.

Frantz
    Port-au-Prince, Haiti