Hold Up! No Monday Night Football in HDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donnie Seals, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

I heard (sorry, I don't have a link to a news article confirming this), that ABC is not presenting Monday Night Football in HDTV this season. From what I HEARD, they don't have the money for the extra cameras and truck to support the format. What? When more and more people are buying HDTV sets, they wanna pull this? I don't get it! You'd think they would want to UP their programming, ESPECIALLY on such a popular event as football.

Does anyone know what the story is on this?
    Will Fox Sports have their games in HDTV?
    What can we do (if anything) to get it back?

2. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

FOX is lagging big time when it comes to HD. They are getting away with broadcasting in 480p and calling that HD, because of some loop-hole in the FCC rules.

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

4. Jay_Leonard

Jay_Leonard Stunt Coordinator

So if I use my directional UHF antenna to pull in the local distribution of Fox and Hughes HDef box I will be able to see the games in 480P widescreen on my 16x9 tv. Correct?

Thanks,

J

5. charles white

charles white Second Unit

ABC dropped high def broadcasts of Monday Night Football since 2000 when Panasonic was sponsoring it. They later sold their high def remote truck to a production company in New York City.
    And Fox is calling their 480progressive "high definition" under a FCC loophole.

6. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

7. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

ABC never owned the 720p truck they were using for Monday Night Football. (At the time it was the only 720p truck in existence, although that may no longer be true today.) It was Panasonic's truck, and Panasonic wanted ABC to buy it after that season. ABC declined, so Panasonic sold the truck to someone else. Monday Night Football hasn't been HD ever since.

There's no FCC loophole. The FCC has no official definition of HDTV. The FCC has no definitions for any resolution at all. (The computer industry is to blame for this. Strange but true. If anybody wants to hear that story, I can elaborate.) Their only requirement is that broadcasters transmit DTV programming that is free to the public and has picture quality at least as good as NTSC.

Regarding Fox... Compared to NTSC, 480p is high resolution. NTSC broadcast resolution is approximately 448 pixels by 480 lines, interlaced of course.

9. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

10. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Pete and Wayne: The problem was that they ran the edge enhancement/aperture correction/ringing/whatever-you-want-to-call-it-that-leaves-silver-outlines-around-all-edges up the wazoo and destroyed ANY resolution increases that the component(which did provide better color-technically) 480p(the p part is laugable as it was only linedoubled at the affiliates- natively it was 480i) could have provided.

And FOX officially called it

"FOX Widescreen, High RESOLUTION Digital TV." It's one of those "technically it's not false advertising" but to those who don't know the technical terms may associate high resolution with high definition and think that what was shown at the SB WAS the great picture that HDTV is supposed to provide....

BTW, the College basketball game (Michigan State vs Ohio State) that CBS did in HIGH DEF only and downconverted it (with letterboxing) for NTSC had no EE and looked great on my 32" NTSC television from highly compressed DirecTV.......

11. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

12. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

13. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

There has been no official announcement from ABC concerning MNF in HD..The last official announcement in May was they were looking for someone to help underwrite the costs..
    In Either case expect to see a big increase in the amount of HD programming this year both on broadcast tv and satellite and cable channels..

14. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

Mike - Do you expect an official announcement from ABC if they don't do MNF in HD this year? Why would they? If they do come through and show it in HD, obviously they'll be the 1st to let us know. But to announce they aren't going to show it doesn't do any good other to piss some people off.

15. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

ABC did make an official announcement last year that MNF would not be HD for the 2001 season....
    If MNF in HD is going to happen this year, an underwriting agreement would have to be completed pretty soon...

16. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

If FOX was using real 480p and not upconverting a 16:9 480i image than maybe the "High Resolution" statement could have a little weight behind it. Actually I'm not even sure if it was upconverted onsite, I think the local station were the ones doing it.