What's new

Hold off on buying a new macbook / macbook pro for just a bit (1 Viewer)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Just received my income tax refunds. It is slotted for a MBP. I can wait for the new ones or I can get a good price on the current version. Hmmmmm. My 2003 era Dell laptop wants to die but I won't let it until it is replaced.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's a tough choice I'm sure, but I know of very few people who were truly satisfied with a closeout before knowing what the new hotness would bring. I seriously recommend waiting.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Two things to consider:

1. Apple likes to make a splash on Tuesdays after a Monday Holiday. Monday is President's day.
2. I finally updated my MBP to Snow Leopard (in fact it's still cooking through it here next to me). My timing is usually atrocious! =)

Sam

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
DENIED!!!!! On the other hand tho, it is Mobile World Congress week and the tech heads are all talking about phones that aren't made by Apple and how they all suck compared to the iPhone... So maybe next week =) Or even tomorrow.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That would be a good reason to postpone a new product. As any Bootcamp user can tell you: having to reboot to change operating conditions makes a lousy user experience and is very un-Apple like. Also, I believe there are laptops (MSI perhaps) than can auto-switch between dual GPUs. Apple needs to keep up with the Jones-es to remain competitive.

Making that an invisible process is very Apple-like.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is a natural evolution in the product line, but you have to recognize that intel dicked apple with the way they cut nvidia out on the integrated boards, so there are a lot of folks holding their breath wondering just what the hell Apple will actually release next... http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nvidia-emerges-as-intels-new-legal-nemesis-2009-12-16

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
It seems that Nvidia doesn't have a license to manufacture motherboard chipsets for the Core i5 and i7 CPUs ... and there's some sort of "licensing spat" between Intel and Nvidia that has kept Nvidia from acquiring an updated license.

Speculation is that because of this, Apple finds itself caught between a rock (give up use of the Nvidia 9400M) and a hard place (give up use of the Mobile Core i5 and i7).

I suppose Apple could put out low-end notebooks using the current design (Core 2 Duo, Nvidia motherboard chipset, Nvidia 9400M graphics), and high-end ones using (Mobile Core i5/i7, Intel motherboard chipset, ATI dedicated graphics). That is not a prediction of what Apple will do -- just a guess at one way that they might be able to extricate themselves from this dilemma.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1017&message=34557313&q=Intel+Nvidia+war&qf=m

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
And don't forget about the ION angle too:
http://gizmodo.com/5483233/next+generation-nvidia-ion-is-a-dedicated-gpu-that-powers-up-netbooks-with-10x-faster-graphics

It's aimed at netbooks, but it shows one way around Intel's locking off of the graphics tech. No reason full power lappys couldnt do something similar.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Next Tuesday sounds good to me for both Mac Pros and Macbook Pros:
http://gizmodo.com/5490827/rumors-suggesting-a-core-i7-mac-pro-returnwith-next-tuesday-being-fingered-as-d+day

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, this roller coaster again!

Man, I just bought a Les Paul so that really crimps my budget for a new one of these. Ideally I'd like to get a Mac Pro to run my Pro Tools and Logic Pro on a separate drive from my main instance of OSX (something that's highly recommended if you're going to be a power user of those apps). Might have to take advantage of that one-year no interest financing offered by Apple on their site...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DaveF's 1st Law of Computers: The best time to buy is always tomorrow.

SteveJ's 1st Law of Computers: The best time to release is always next Tuesday.

:)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Postens first law of computer consulting: if something has four screws it really only needs 2.
2nd law: if something has 2 screws it really only needs 1.
3rd law: no I won't fix your PC!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.