What's new

Hold Back The Dawn (1941) on Blu-ray 07-16 (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Wow, unexpected!

It's only about $26 to order it from the amazon.co.uk site versus $39.95 from the American site.

US
https://www.amazon.com/Hold-Back-Blu-ray-Charles-Boyer/dp/B07QM8Q3KT?tag=skim0x95940-20

UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hold-Back-Blu-ray-Charles-Boyer/dp/B07QL3WKWD/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3G1LXJZZC3H8F&keywords=hold+back+the+dawn&qid=1555474245&s=gateway&sprefix=hold+back+the+dawn,aps,235&sr=8-1

EDIT: For some reason, the uk link redirects to the US site so I guess you have to copy and paste it into your browser or go to amazon.co.uk directly and search for it.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow, unexpected!

It's only about $26 to order it from the amazon.co.uk site versus $39.95 from the American site.

US
https://www.amazon.com/Hold-Back-Blu-ray-Charles-Boyer/dp/B07QM8Q3KT?tag=skim0x95940-20

UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hold-Back-Blu-ray-Charles-Boyer/dp/B07QL3WKWD/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3G1LXJZZC3H8F&keywords=hold+back+the+dawn&qid=1555474245&s=gateway&sprefix=hold+back+the+dawn,aps,235&sr=8-1

EDIT: For some reason, the uk link redirects to the US site so I guess you have to copy and paste it into your browser or go to amazon.co.uk directly and search for it.
Amazon hasn't discounted their pricing yet here in the States. It will happen in the near future as this title isn't coming out until 3 months from now.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It's been a long time since I last saw this film but I remember it as being excellent. I particularly remember the end where Olivia De Havilland make a cutting remark about leaving a tip. I very much look forward to watching this disc.

jsmiller60

Auditioning
So glad to see everyone’s interest in this wonderful film. Now if we can just get Arrow to release Leisen’s To Each His Own I’ll be a very happy camper!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
So glad to see everyone’s interest in this wonderful film. Now if we can just get Arrow to release Leisen’s To Each His Own I’ll be a very happy camper!

Was going to write the same thing when I saw your post. Here is hoping for "To Each His Own"

Richard M S

Screenwriter
It has been years since I saw this film, but I remember being very impressed and enjoying it immensely. if I recall correctly it was immigration-themed, with an intelligent Billy Wilder-Charkes Bracket script, so it would definitely be day-one purchase for me.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Isn't this the film that prodded Billy Wilder into becoming a director as in the original script Mr. Wilder wrote the story was supposed to be told in flashback by Charles Boyer talking to a cockroach in an hotel room and Mitchell Leisen changed it?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Isn't this the film that prodded Billy Wilder into becoming a director as in the original script Mr. Wilder wrote the story was supposed to be told in flashback by Charles Boyer talking to a cockroach in an hotel room and Mitchell Leisen changed it?

Probably a good idea as the cockroach thing would have gone over like a lead balloon with audiences in 1941.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Billy Wilder was always ahead of his time, in both negative and positive ways, which is why many of his films from the 1940's don't seem to have really dated that much, as their sensibility and attitude still seems contemporary,

HOLD BACK THE DAWN is an amazing film, though, possibly Leo Tover's greatest achievement; also an exemplary example of the collaborative Paramount studio look at its best, a look that Wilder took advantage of as a director and also transformed in his work with John Seitz.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Most of Leisen’s films are among the one I treasure the most from Paramount.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that Hold Back the Dawn is being released on bluray. I have the spanish dvd and will gladly upgrade it.

Now, let’s hope for some of his other entries: Midnight, Kitty, To Each his own, Arise my love, I wanted wings, Hands accross the table, Take a Letter, darling, No time for love... and 2 beautifully produced technicolor pictures: Lady in the dark and Frenchman’s creek.

Maybe Arrow or Shout have some of them.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Administrators! Perhaps you can remove the R2 from the thread title and I'll amend my original post.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since the Amazon Pre-order Link is active, I have changed this thread's title to indicate its July 16th release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks