Hogan's Heroes: Season 1 in 2004

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Greg_S_H, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    The news has been up since yesterday on TVShowsOnDVD.com, but no one has mentioned it here to my knowledge. Paramount will be releasing Hogan's Heroes Season 1 at some unspecified time next year. Other Paramount titles mentioned in the updates yesterday were Touched By an Angel and Resurrection Blvd., both of which will be getting season boxes next year as well.

I'm only interested in Hogan of those, and it's a good sign that Paramount is moving to more modern sitcoms. Can the Bradys be far behind? I hope not. [​IMG]

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=839

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

this is great news indeed. I would also only be interested in Hogan's Heroes.

[​IMG]

3. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Although I've never really sat down and watched the show, I always thought it was kind of weird to set a sitcom in a POW camp guarded by Nazis. Very strange.

I wonder what's holding up a release of The Brady Bunch. After all, if Paramount deems Hogan's Heroes worthy of a season set release, The Brady Bunch is a no-brainer whose sales figures would run rings around Hogan's Heroes'.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

5. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

I'm cetainly not a big Hogan's Heroes fan, but I never understood this criticism. What better way to deflate evil than by mocking it?

Either way, ole' Hogan would be pretty tough to watch after having seen Auto Focus. Yikes!

6. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

7. JamesHromadka

JamesHromadka Stunt Coordinator

I was just about to post the news!

HH was very much based on Stalag 17. Schultz is a German soldier in that movie, although HH made him much more gullable than in S17 where he had sympathy but was still a good soldier.

Stalag 17 is a very good movie on its own and is much darker; any HH fan would appreciate it just to see where the show got its inspiration from.

Any fan that doesn't buy this show gets 30 days in the cooler!

8. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

Like some others ...

After 'Auto Focus', I have less desire to own this puppy.

9. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

Count me in for all the season sets of Hogan's Heroes. this is one of those shows I grew up watching rerun after rerun of.

For those who want more details into Bob Crane and his murder. I highly recommend "The Murder of Bob Crane" by Robert Graysmith. This was the book that the movie was based on. The movie was heavily slanted to Crane's sexual exploits. The book gives alot more indepth look at Crane himself. The book also does a nice job of covering the background of all the Hogan Heroes actors as well. It's an interesting read, and is more of a mystery than a sexual exploits type book.

Greg

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I didn't see Auto Focus, but what I know about Crane is fairly nauseating, yeah.

As for the premise of the show, the actors who played Schultz and Klink were both Jewish, and I understand that they demanded that the Germans always be stymied. I don't think there was any chance that wouldn't be the case, but they made sure of it. I can see the danger of making the Nazis too cute, but I don't think the show ultimately did any damage. I resisted the show for a long time when I was a kid because I thought Hogan and his men tried to escape every week, only to fail. When I actually watched and found out they wanted to be in the camp in order to spy and help the Allies, I enjoyed it.

11. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

Hogans's Heroes is one of my 2 most favorite TV shows so I will be picking it up. Thats also the reason ive never watched Auto Focus. I'm affraid my other favorite will never see the light of day because of music rights. WKRP

12. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

What is all this fuzz about Bob Crane and Auto Focus ?

I am in the dark about this ?

Anybody care to explain

Thanks

13. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

14. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Yeah, if you're a HOGAN'S HEROES fan, it's best to ignore AUTO FOCUS if you want to stay that way.

Just tell yourself, I know no-thing, nuuuuh-thing!

15. Spero D

Spero D Second Unit

I can't wait to get Hogan's Heroes to.

16. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I will most certainly get any and all HH DVD's. But I'm a dissenting opnion here: Auto Focus didn't affect my opinion of it at all. After all, AF is "real life" and HH is acting and is entirely unrealistic in its premise and every other way. It had to be, to be acceptable to people only 20 years after WW2, and even more so considering the powers behind Hollywood and TV at the time. Intelligent "everybody else" vs stupid Germans...doubt it could be made today in this PC climate. HH comes straight from Stalag 17, just like MASH came from movie-MASH, regardless of different production names and different actors. Haven't seen any big Vietnam or Middle East war comedies lately, but I don't watch TV much any more. It's been about 20 years...or maybe the NV have made one this time.

Anyway, BC seems a basically OK dude who gets drawn into things. Watch AF again if you missed this. He had a huge desire to be accepted and appreciated by people, something I'm sure is very rare among HW actors. The only difference is his extremely uncommon diversions (sure!...it's a multi-billion $ industry now, not to mention a not uncommon pastime for many "ordinary people", vis the internet) resulted in a bad end. That's the only difference...he got caught. As usual, getting caught is the crime, not getting caught and profitting gets you worship. This happens to a "star" every day, including today. Not saying it's right what they do, but enjoy the acting for the acting, and remember it's not real, so don't connect it to reality, or your opinion of reality.

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

You have made very curious indeed with some of your reactions about this.

I guess the only way to learn is to watch AutoFocus and make up my own mind.

Cheers

Oscar

18. CraigMAC

CraigMAC Auditioning

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Mark Cuban use some of the original film of HH to run some episodes in High definition on HDNet? If so, wouldn't it be feasibile for a widescreen release of the HH DVD?

19. JamesHromadka

JamesHromadka Stunt Coordinator

CraigF Said:

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer