What's new

Hogan's Heroes: Season 1 in 2004 (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The news has been up since yesterday on TVShowsOnDVD.com but no one has mentioned it here to my knowledge. Paramount will be releasing Hogan's Heroes Season 1 at some unspecified time next year. Other Paramount titles mentioned in the updates yesterday were Touched By an Angel and Resurrection Blvd., both of which will be getting season boxes next year as well.

I'm only interested in Hogan of those, and it's a good sign that Paramount is moving to more modern sitcoms. Can the Bradys be far behind? I hope not. :)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=839

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Although I've never really sat down and watched the show, I always thought it was kind of weird to set a sitcom in a POW camp guarded by Nazis. Very strange.

I wonder what's holding up a release of The Brady Bunch. After all, if Paramount deems Hogan's Heroes worthy of a season set release, The Brady Bunch is a no-brainer whose sales figures would run rings around Hogan's Heroes'.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I always thought it was kind of weird to set a sitcom in a POW camp guarded by Nazis.
The part of it that was funny was about how klutzy the Nutzies were, and how even "armed and in charge", the great Americans (and their allies) who were held prisoner in the German camp could still run rings around their supposed taskmasters.

I've always heard it was loosely based on the film Stalag 17, which I can believe. It's weird to see Richard "Family Feud" Dawson actually acting instead of game-show hosting! :)

re: Resurrection Blvd.; Gord actually erred in his choice of words when describing that title. I had put up a separate news item about a month ago that it was coming. The news was received with a distinct chirping of crickets. :D

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

I'm cetainly not a big Hogan's Heroes fan, but I never understood this criticism. What better way to deflate evil than by mocking it?

Either way, ole' Hogan would be pretty tough to watch after having seen Auto Focus. Yikes!

Jim-M

Second Unit
I've always heard it was loosely based on the film Stalag 17, which I can believe.
I watched Stalag 17 last week for the first time and Hogan's Heroes was based on that film a lot more than 'loosely'. Until recently I wasn't even aware that Hogan's was based on a film at all, so I was fascinated by the similarities. Many of the scenes in the opening credits of Hogan's Heroes are identical to images seen in Stalag 17, such as a guard tower shot and a guard walking a shepard along the fenceline. There is the obvious Sgt. Schutlz similarity, but you could also see where some of the Hogan's characters clothes came from based on some of the characters in Stalag 17. So I guess it might be correct that the plots were based loosely on the movie, but many of the visuals were nearly identical.

Anyone have an idea whether the set will come out early in the year or late in the year?

JamesHromadka

Stunt Coordinator
I was just about to post the news!

HH was very much based on Stalag 17. Schultz is a German soldier in that movie, although HH made him much more gullable than in S17 where he had sympathy but was still a good soldier.

Stalag 17 is a very good movie on its own and is much darker; any HH fan would appreciate it just to see where the show got its inspiration from.

Any fan that doesn't buy this show gets 30 days in the cooler!

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in for all the season sets of Hogan's Heroes. this is one of those shows I grew up watching rerun after rerun of.

For those who want more details into Bob Crane and his murder. I highly recommend "The Murder of Bob Crane" by Robert Graysmith. This was the book that the movie was based on. The movie was heavily slanted to Crane's sexual exploits. The book gives alot more indepth look at Crane himself. The book also does a nice job of covering the background of all the Hogan Heroes actors as well. It's an interesting read, and is more of a mystery than a sexual exploits type book.

Greg

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't see Auto Focus, but what I know about Crane is fairly nauseating, yeah.

As for the premise of the show, the actors who played Schultz and Klink were both Jewish, and I understand that they demanded that the Germans always be stymied. I don't think there was any chance that wouldn't be the case, but they made sure of it. I can see the danger of making the Nazis too cute, but I don't think the show ultimately did any damage. I resisted the show for a long time when I was a kid because I thought Hogan and his men tried to escape every week, only to fail. When I actually watched and found out they wanted to be in the camp in order to spy and help the Allies, I enjoyed it.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Hogans's Heroes is one of my 2 most favorite TV shows so I will be picking it up. Thats also the reason ive never watched Auto Focus. I'm affraid my other favorite will never see the light of day because of music rights. WKRP

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
What is all this fuzz about Bob Crane and Auto Focus ?

I am in the dark about this ?

Anybody care to explain

Thanks

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
What is all this fuzz about Bob Crane and Auto Focus ?
You're better off not knowing :) In short, Crane was a big time pervert/creep who made amatuer home videos for mature audiences.

In watching the Season 2 DVD of the "Dick Van Dyke" show, Crane shows up in an episode playing a wannabe Marc Antony/masher who causes Rob and Jerry to ask their wives not to play Cleopatra opposite him.

His presence made this episode quite uncomfortable.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Yeah, if you're a HOGAN'S HEROES fan, it's best to ignore AUTO FOCUS if you want to stay that way.

Just tell yourself, I know no-thing, nuuuuh-thing!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I will most certainly get any and all HH DVD's. But I'm a dissenting opnion here: Auto Focus didn't affect my opinion of it at all. After all, AF is "real life" and HH is acting and is entirely unrealistic in its premise and every other way. It had to be, to be acceptable to people only 20 years after WW2, and even more so considering the powers behind Hollywood and TV at the time. Intelligent "everybody else" vs stupid Germans...doubt it could be made today in this PC climate. HH comes straight from Stalag 17, just like MASH came from movie-MASH, regardless of different production names and different actors. Haven't seen any big Vietnam or Middle East war comedies lately, but I don't watch TV much any more. It's been about 20 years...or maybe the NV have made one this time.

Anyway, BC seems a basically OK dude who gets drawn into things. Watch AF again if you missed this. He had a huge desire to be accepted and appreciated by people, something I'm sure is very rare among HW actors. The only difference is his extremely uncommon diversions (sure!...it's a multi-billion $ industry now, not to mention a not uncommon pastime for many "ordinary people", vis the internet) resulted in a bad end. That's the only difference...he got caught. As usual, getting caught is the crime, not getting caught and profitting gets you worship. This happens to a "star" every day, including today. Not saying it's right what they do, but enjoy the acting for the acting, and remember it's not real, so don't connect it to reality, or your opinion of reality.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
You have made very curious indeed with some of your reactions about this.

I guess the only way to learn is to watch AutoFocus and make up my own mind.

Cheers

Oscar

CraigMAC

Auditioning
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Mark Cuban use some of the original film of HH to run some episodes in High definition on HDNet? If so, wouldn't it be feasibile for a widescreen release of the HH DVD?

JamesHromadka

Stunt Coordinator
CraigF Said:
I will most certainly get any and all HH DVD's. But I'm a dissenting opnion here: Auto Focus didn't affect my opinion of it at all. After all, AF is "real life" and HH is acting and is entirely unrealistic in its premise and every other way.
I agree. I haven't seen AutoFocus yet, but I know about Crane's off-set activities, and separate the two. My mother doesn't approve of Rock Hudson's lifestyle, but she still enjoys his movies. OJ Simpson is still funny in the Naked Gun movies right?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
My mother doesn't approve of Rock Hudson's lifestyle, but she still enjoys his movies. OJ Simpson is still funny in the Naked Gun movies right?
And William Shatner may be a jerk in real life, but man can that guy act!

;)

I'm on the fence about HH. I enjoyed the show, but I'm not certain I want to OWN it. I'll wait and see once we get a little more info... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks