Reviewer
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It seems like it's The Wild, Wild West and The Brady Bunch all over again-- either get the messy, M*A*S*H-type one that has the bonus disc, or get the better-packaged one that doesn't.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
bmasters9 said:
It seems like it's The Wild, Wild West and The Brady Bunch all over again-- either get the messy, M*A*S*H-type one that has the bonus disc, or get the better-packaged one that doesn't.
(Going slightly offtopic).

In the case of the first Brady Bunch complete series set, the only stuff on the bonus disc which might have interested me, are the episodes from The Brady Kids. I thought the post-series movies, spin offs (ie. The Bradys in 1990), etc ... lost most of the original show's charm. If this was several years ago, I might have picked up the first complete series set version with the crappy packaging and bonus disc.

Fast forward to the present, the Brady Kids cartoon is being released on dvd on February 16, 2016. At this point in time, the first complete series set (with the bonus disc) doesn't seem as compelling anymore.

So unless I come across the first complete series set for a lower price than the re-released version, today I would be inclined to purchase the re-released version and The Brady Kids cartoon dvd set.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I have the 2009 version, and recommend it because of the Extras disc. The packaging is terrible, though.

Once you remove a disc from the cardboard sleeve (!), don't EVER put it back, because it'll scratch the surface of the disc. Store the discs in your own (quality) cases.

Reactions: Blurayfan

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
rjd0309 said:
Once you remove a disc from the cardboard sleeve (!), don't EVER put it back, because it'll scratch the surface of the disc. Store the discs in your own (quality) cases.
I've been doing this consistently for various dvd sets with various atrocious packaging. No way I'm ever using the original packaging again. For example sets like:

- Wild Wild West

- I Dream of Jeannie

- Bewitched

- Damages

- Charlie's Angels

- Dawson's Creek

- The West Wing

- The Flintstones

- Gilligan's Island (single-sided discs re-release)

- CHiPs season 2 (single-sided discs re-release)

- Dukes of Hazzard season 1 (single-sided discs re-release)

- Wonder Woman season 1 (single-sided discs re-release)

- Futurama

- The Simpsons seasons 11-17 and 20

Also been doing this for various lousy bluray packaging too.

- House MD season 6

- Heroes season 4

- The Office season 6

- Star Wars: The Complete Saga

- Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy

- Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures

- House of Cards seasons 1 and 2 (Netflix version)

blah blah blah!

Reactions: rjd0309

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
jcroy said:
- Wonder Woman season 1 (single-sided discs re-release)
I did not realize that the first-season Wonder Woman release was redone as singles! I have the full release that encompasses all three seasons as doubles, and the first season's worth in that is messed up on the top side of the first disc in a manner that invalidates the second episode (first episode after the pilot).

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
rjd0309 said:
I have the 2009 version, and recommend it because of the Extras disc. The packaging is terrible, though.

I did hear about the awful packaging but I also wanted the 2009 for the bonus DVD extra features.

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
bmasters9 said:
I did not realize that the first-season Wonder Woman release was redone as singles! I have the full release that encompasses all three seasons as doubles, and the first season's worth in that is messed up on the top side of the first disc in a manner that invalidates the second episode (first episode after the pilot).
I didnt know about season 1 re release either… the copy I have freezes on the episode with Wonder Woman and her sister episode. I need to look for this re release….so i can repurchase and get rid of the double sided one….

Reactions: bmasters9

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

LeoA

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Glad I held off buying. :)

Too bad that the bonus disc likely won't be here, but the listing I saw of what was included on it looks to be things that I could live without having access to given much superior packaging and a lower MSRP.

I hope it beats the odds and is included though.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
LeoA said:
Glad I held off buying. :)

Too bad that the bonus disc likely won't be here, but the listing I saw of what was included on it looks to be things that I could live without having access to given much superior packaging and a lower MSRP.

I hope it beats the odds and is included though.
(On a tangent).

Offhand, I can think of one complete series dvd set where the re-released version also included the same exclusive bonus disc from the first version.

The re-released Dawson's Creek complete series set (released in 2011) in a flimsy Sony stacked hub type of case, also included the bonus disc from the first digibook version of the complete series (released in 2009).

The discs in the 2011 re-released version, were also labeled sequentially from 1 to 23. (The 24th disc is the bonus disc). The original individual season set releases did not silkscreen the discs in this manner. So most likely these discs labeled 1 to 23, were the same discs used in the first digibook version of the Dawson's Creek complete series set.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
If anyone wants the real original Pilot for the show, the one screened to CBS and test audiences, you'll have to look for the Columbia House VHS tapes. It was commercial-free, too.

Reactions: jcroy

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Vahan_Nisanain said:
If anyone wants the real original Pilot for the show, the one screened to CBS and test audiences, you'll have to look for the Columbia House VHS tapes. It was commercial-free, too.
What the difference exactly? I know I have two different recordings; one a syndicated, albeit still at 25 minutes, version from local TV and then the one shown on Nick at Nite when they were kicking off TV Land and it runs longer than 25 minutes.

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
I don't know if I should wait for the re-release or get the 2009 version….because I really want the bonus dvd with Richard Dawson interview! I hear the picture quality for it is remastered…..finally a show that will look good on my tv that is not a blu ray purchase….LOL

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Vahan_Nisanain said:
I am 99.9% sure that is the version shown on Nick at Nite. I'll have to search for my video tape and see. I know I have (or had as the case may be) the 25 minute version of it from local TV that was shown in the late 80's or early 90's. I simply taped the Nick at Nite version to get a cleaner copy and to my surprise there was additional footage. I could be mistaken on the run time, but I'll check it as I know it went past 25 minutes. If I am wrong, I'll seek out the Columbia House version!

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I have never purchased even a season of Hogan's Heroes, but I like the new packaging.

Even without the bonus disc, I may bite on this.

Reactions: bmasters9

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Ron1973 said:
I am 99.9% sure that is the version shown on Nick at Nite. I'll have to search for my video tape and see. I know I have (or had as the case may be) the 25 minute version of it from local TV that was shown in the late 80's or early 90's. I simply taped the Nick at Nite version to get a cleaner copy and to my surprise there was additional footage. I could be mistaken on the run time, but I'll check it as I know it went past 25 minutes. If I am wrong, I'll seek out the Columbia House version!
The longer version of the pilot with the final tag scene in Klink's office was included in the complete series set. That's one of the reasons why I upgraded since the S1 set had the shorter version.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell