What's new

Pre-Order Hocus Pocus 25th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
207307_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Their missing the opportunity for some great extras. I would have doubled-dipped if there were. As it is nah.

Nailwraps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony DiPaola
The ad does mention bonuses for both titles, I say we wait for a press release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It’ll Put a Spell on You.

“Hocus Pocus” 25th Anniversary Edition

Appears on Digital and Blu-ray™ Sept. 2

For the first time ever, Disney’s classic comedy will bewitch audiences with

We ♥︎ Hocus Pocus: Trivia and Treats Edition an exciting way to watch the movie!

BURBANK, Calif. (July 31, 2018) — One quarter of a century ago, three 17th century witches—Winifred (Bette Midler), Sarah (Sarah Jessica Parker) and Mary Sanderson (Kathy Najimy)—brewed the perfect magical movie for the whole family: Walt Disney Pictures’ live-action comedy/adventure “Hocus Pocus.” In celebration of the film’s silver anniversary, “Hocus Pocus” is being re-released to home audiences with a spellbinding new way to experience the film: the Trivia and Treats Edition. On Sept. 2, fans can watch it instantly on Digital and Movies Anywhere,and bring it home on Blu-ray™.

“The 25th Anniversary Edition of “Hocus Pocus” includes the original theatrical film and the We ♥︎ Hocus Pocus: Trivia and Treats Edition, featuring pop up video extras including fun facts, trivia, deleted scenes, cast and crew commentary, and behind-the-scenes secrets”… The Multi-Screen Edition of “Hocus Pocus” includes a Blu-ray and Digital Code giving viewers the flexibility to watch the film on different devices.

In “Hocus Pocus,” the Sanderson sisters are in for a devil of a time when their restless spirits are accidentally conjured up on Halloween night, in 1993 Salem, Massachusetts. Banished 300 years ago for practicing their sorcery, this trio of triple-threat demons vowed to one day reappear—and now they’re back—weaving an outrageous web of comedy and chaos. However, to guarantee their immortality, the things they need are the very things that could bring them down: Max Dennison (Omri Katz), his little sister Dani (Thora Birch), and the Allison (Vinessa Shaw), three kids with the power to make or break the witches’ spell. The film is directed by Kenny Ortega (“Hull High,” “High School Musical” series) from a screenplay by Mick Garris (“Sleepwalkers,” “Critters 2”) and Neil Cuthbert (“The Adventures of Pluto Nash,” “Mystery Men”) and a story by Kirschner (“Frailty,” “An American Tail”) and Garris.

Bonus Features:

BLU-RAY & DIGITAL*:

• We ♥︎ “Hocus Pocus”: Trivia and Treats Edition – A spellbinding new way to experience the film with:
    • Fun facts and trivia
    • Deleted scenes
    • Cast and crew commentary
    • Concept art and storyboards
    • Behind-the-scenes secrets, and more!
  • Original 1993 Production Featurette – Discover that witchcraft is cinematic artistry in disguise in this resurrected throwback production featurette.

*Bonus features may vary by retailer

DISC SPECIFICATIONS:

Product SKUs: Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray, Digital Code, Digital HD/SD, DVD) and DVD

Feature Run Time: Approximately 96 minutes

Rating: PG in U.S.

Aspect Ratio: Blu-ray Feature Film = 1080p High Definition / 1.85:1

DVD Feature Film = 1.85:1

Audio: Blu-ray = English 5.1 DTS-HDMA, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks

DVD = English, Spanish, and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks

Subtitles: English Line 21, English SDH, Spanish, French

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I actually like The Nightmare Before Christmas artwork Bryan posted much more than the artwork for the original Blu-ray I currently own...but I probably won't double dip for it.

I never got the original Hocus Pocus Blu-ray, so might consider the new one. It would be fun to see that archival featurette.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
1993 was the last full year Frank Wells was alive and Jeffrey Katzenberg was still at the company. It was the last year before the backlash against Disney's America left a bad taste in many people's mouths. In many ways, it was the last year before the Disney we knew and loved changed entirely into something that looked like itself but wasn't quite itself. Michael Eisner tried to make the 1990s into the "Disney Decade," but 1984-1994 was already it.

It was also the year Bette Midler guest starred on The Simpsons and, like Angela Lansbury before her, went from playing a Disney witch to playing Madame Rose in Gypsy, the only version without a Blu-ray as of now. My mother was also playing her Experience the Divine tape in the car during a lot of our errands and road trips. Everything really was coming up Bette.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This actually gives me hope that featureless or mis-executed discs will get re-done.

While you're waiting for the disc, I found a multi-part interview with the film's composer, John Debney:

And can you believe this was one of his first composing jobs there?:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
1993 was the last full year Frank Wells was alive and Jeffrey Katzenberg was still at the company. It was the last year before the backlash against Disney's America left a bad taste in many people's mouths. In many ways, it was the last year before the Disney we knew and loved changed entirely into something that looked like itself but wasn't quite itself. Michael Eisner tried to make the 1990s into the "Disney Decade," but 1984-1994 was already it.

I never knew about this almost Disney park that would of been just an hour away from where I live. In theory it sounded like it could of been a pretty interesting theme park, but building it that close to the Mananas Battlefield, would never of worked; glad it never got past planning.

This actually gives me hope that featureless or mis-executed discs will get re-done.

Still hope for Bedknobs and Broomsticks then, but Disney better hurry fast though, as Angela Lansburry is not getting any younger, record some new interviews and do an audio commentary ASAP.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I never knew about this almost Disney park that would of been just an hour away from where I live. In theory it sounded like it could of been a pretty interesting theme park, but building it that close to the Mananas Battlefield, would never of worked; glad it never got past planning.

There are times when there is no decision one can make that won't make somebody unhappy, and this was one of them. I wonder how this played into the decision to withdraw Song of the South from circulation. That wasn't the only thing, obviously, but sometimes Disney's reasoning for doing things makes sense to them and them alone. Even so, the park would have caused an even bigger furor. I still think Westcot was the greatest of all the lost opportunities of that era.

Still hope for Bedknobs and Broomsticks then, but Disney better hurry fast though, as Angela Lansburry is not getting any younger, record some new interviews and do an audio commentary ASAP.

The stage version is coming next year and the 50th anniversary is in three years. When I first saw it, only 15 years had passed since its released. Include the 139-minute cut in full HD on the disc itself or don't bother. It's not a coincidence that the line "What effect a little smoke is with a dash of hocus pocus" was all that was left of "With a Flair" when they cut it. The cut scenes here will be separate from the film; I just hope they don't make them inaccessible without watching the film (like the Airplane! Blu-ray).

And since "I Put a Spell On You" is not technically a Disney song in the sense that it didn't originate with a Disney film, TV show, stage show, or park, Bette has used that loophole to bring Winnie Sanderson into her live act:

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
There are times when there is no decision one can make that won't make somebody unhappy, and this was one of them. I wonder how this played into the decision to withdraw Song of the South from circulation. That wasn't the only thing, obviously, but sometimes Disney's reasoning for doing things makes sense to them and them alone. Even so, the park would have caused an even bigger furor. I still think Westcot was the greatest of all the lost opportunities of that era.

When all of the planning/protesting of Disney's America was going on I was only 5 years old in 1993 and I wasn't watching or reading the news at that age. I am surprised though that no one told me that a Disney park might open just an hour away from where our house was. Who wouldn't tell a kid that? I agree with on Disney's logic when it comes to how they think and reason. Never heard of Westcot, was that going to be an Wild West version of Epcot?

The stage version is coming next year and the 50th anniversary is in three years. When I first saw it, only 15 years had passed since its released. Include the 139-minute cut in full HD on the disc itself or don't bother. It's not a coincidence that the line "What effect a little smoke is with a dash of hocus pocus" was all that was left of "With a Flair" when they cut it. The cut scenes here will be separate from the film; I just hope they don't make them inaccessible without watching the film (like the Airplane! Blu-ray).

And since "I Put a Spell On You" is not technically a Disney song in the sense that it didn't originate with a Disney film, TV show, stage show, or park, Bette has used that loophole to bring Winnie Sanderson into her live act:

Excuse me, but did I read that right? Are you saying that there's going to be a Broadway version of Bedknobs And Broomsticks next year?

First time I saw Bedknobs was in 1991 when my dad recorded it off The Disney Channel and then later on that same year when it came out on VHS as part of their Black Diamond Classics series. There's no need for a "double-dip" if you don't included the complete restored version. The restored version has been around since the 25th anniversary back in 1996 and on DVD since the 30th anniversary in 2001. Going back and reading the features for Hocus Pocus, it does sound like Disney is going to do an Airplane! on this release, though fingers crossed that it wont be.

Disney can't do anything about I Put A Spell On You, unless they decided to buy the rights to the song, and though Disney has the money to buy it and entire Beatles library, I don't see them wasting money like that. Bette didn't find a loophole per-say as didn't she help in the creation of Winnie's look and demeanor?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Excuse me, but did I read that right? Are you saying that there's going to be a Broadway version of Bedknobs And Broomsticks next year?

It's going to be in Chicago, where they also did The Jungle Book for the stage. New York and London are up to their ears in witches thanks to Harry Potter and Wicked.

Disney can't do anything about I Put A Spell On You, unless they decided to buy the rights to the song, and though Disney has the money to buy it and entire Beatles library, I don't see them wasting money like that. Bette didn't find a loophole per-say as didn't she help in the creation of Winnie's look and demeanor?

You reminded me of a lawsuit George Wendt and John Ratzenberger filed against Paramount because of Cheers-themed airport bars that used their likenesses as animatronic robots without permission. I'm not sure whether she actually pays Disney for the right to use the costume in concert. I've seen Sanderson Sisters Halloween costumes for sale in those seasonals Halloween costume stores that come and go around this time of year.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
It's going to be in Chicago, where they also did The Jungle Book for the stage.

Looks legit, However Disney better not screw it up like they did with Freaky Friday back in 2016. When I heard that Disney was going to do a musical for Freaky Friday I was beyond excited for it, and that it was going to premiere in my area, as Arlington is just a few minutes away from Alexandria. I was going to audition for it with the hopes of maybe being able to play Boris, but once I found out it was already cast and that there was a completely new story, and that the song "I'd Like To Be You For A Day" wasn't going to be featured as well, I quickly lost any interest in it. From what I remember think it got mixed reviews.

Do you think whoever is in charge of this can do justice to the film though, as I've wanted Bedknobs to be a Broadway musical for years now.
You reminded me of a lawsuit George Wendt and John Ratzenberger filed against Paramount because of Cheers-themed airport bars that used their likenesses as animatronic robots without permission. I'm not sure whether she actually pays Disney for the right to use the costume in concert. I've seen Sanderson Sisters Halloween costumes for sale in those seasonals Halloween costume stores that come and go around this time of year.

Interesting, never heard of that lawsuit before. the only Cheers I know of is in Boston across the street from Boston Commons. Who knows what she may or may not have to pay Disney regarding Winnie. I'm pretty sure that Bette get a share of the profits from the Halloween costumes and anything else with her likeness from the film.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There were fewer lawsuits than there were over that other Winnie, the one who has a movie out now. They just seem slightly less litigious than usual these days. They even let cartoons and park specials linger on YouTube for years.* Warner Bros. is more aggressive about removing their cartoons.

Looks legit, However Disney better not screw it up like they did with Freaky Friday back in 2016. When I heard that Disney was going to do a musical for Freaky Friday I was beyond excited for it, and that it was going to premiere in my area, as Arlington is just a few minutes away from Alexandria. I was going to audition for it with the hopes of maybe being able to play Boris, but once I found out it was already cast and that there was a completely new story, and that the song "I'd Like To Be You For A Day" wasn't going to be featured as well, I quickly lost any interest in it. From what I remember think it got mixed reviews.

The absence of the movie song is for the same reason The Sound of Music doesn't have any songs the Von Trapp Family actually sang in concert and the musical Hairspray doesn't have the theme from the original 1988 film: they wanted all the songs to be written by the same people. They would have had to hire someone new anyway: Joel Hirschhorn is dead and Al Kasha is in poor health. I actually saw a poster for a production of that in Solvang, CA, a delightful little town about halfway between where I live and Los Angeles. B&B will be fine as long as Thomas Schumacher's involvement is minimized. Rumor mill says they moved him to theater because the animators hated his guts.

*Sometimes they pull rank; they had The Legend of the Three Caballeros on there…until they didn't.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks