What's new

Hocus Pocus (1993) (4k UHD) Coming from Disney (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It may have a cult following, but that doesn't make it a classic.

To a certain group of people, it does. It's not for you. That's fine. But that doesn't mean other people don't consider it to be one.

In other news, in reporting on this imminent release over at The Digital Bits, Bill Hunt also said that Disney will be releasing Home Alone on 4K this year as well. That one is even more interesting in some respects because, if it comes to pass, I think it would be Disney's first 4K upgrade of an acquired Fox title.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To a certain group of people, it does. It's not for you. That's fine. But that doesn't mean other people don't consider it to be one.
Well, I don't think the industry nor film critics consider it a classic film. I never disputed that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. IMO, it's an awful movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In other news, in reporting on this imminent release over at The Digital Bits, Bill Hunt also said that Disney will be releasing Home Alone on 4K this year as well. That one is even more interesting in some respects because, if it comes to pass, I think it would be Disney's first 4K upgrade of an acquired Fox title.
I suspect a near Christmas release for that classic movie.;)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If you guys are wondering what else may be coming to 4K disc, you only need look at what is currently available in 4K on Disney+. You can expect The Princess Diaries 1 & 2, National Treasure 1 & 2, The Santa Clause, Remember the Titans, The Muppet Christmas Carol, Who Framed Roger Rabbit...

Seems to me that now Disney is complete on UHD releases for Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar, that the Muppet franchise would be a fair guess for the next wave of UHD releases. And if the pattern holds, they'll release all of the Muppet movies they control on UHD in one group, two groups at most.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
What makes you think it's viewed as a beloved classic? It's getting a 4K disc release, but I wouldn't call it that type of movie.

There seemed to be a lot of positive attention when the BD came out, and now Disney's giving it a 4K release.

The fact they think there's an audience for a 4K disc says they believe there's a large audience for it.

You know catalog 4K disc releases haven't exactly been plentiful, so it's not like Disney's trotting out dozens of these at a time...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
To a certain generation of fans who grew up with it, it absolutely is. It has developed a rabid cult following in the years since its initial release. You're not in the age bracket that most appreciates it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its fans.

I guess it's like 1986's "Labyrinth". That movie TOTALLY bombed at the box office - 66th place for 1986! - but got a big audience of kids when it ran over and over on cable.

It's a consistent cash cow title for Sony even though it was a massive commercial disappointment 34 years ago.

That's one I never saw coming, but I was 19 when it hit, not one of the kids who watched it on TV in the ensuing years.

When Bowie died in 2016, my friends born in the mid-late 70s ALL associated him mainly with "Labyrinth"!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't think the industry nor film critics consider it a classic film. I never disputed that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. IMO, it's an awful movie.

"Cult classic" and "classic film" aren't the same thing.

"Rocky Horror" is the definition of a "cult classic" but virtually no one lumps it in the same category as actual "classic films".

As I mentioned earlier, "Labyrinth" is a cult classic, and apparently "Hocus Pocus" is as well.

I have no dog in the "HP" hunt - I don't even know if I ever saw it, so I have no opinion on it...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Home Alone concerns me because that's a case where I wonder whether Disney will actually start treating the film as if they actually made it; i.e. replacing Fox logos with Disney ones.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Home Alone concerns me because that's a case where I wonder whether Disney will actually start treating the film as if they actually made it; i.e. replacing Fox logos with Disney ones.

Judging by the way the Fox library is treated on Disney+, I have my doubts. But, I understand your concern, since we're talking about Disney here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks