What's new

Hockey Talk: The Official NHL 2008-2009 Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm pleased with the 3-1 win tonight. When the Habs scored early, I thought ... oh no. But it was a good, solid win. :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm glad someone is pleased, 'cause this Habs fan wasn't. :laugh: Montreal played well, but Thomas played a great game in net for the Bruins. His play, and the Habs taking a few stupid costly penalties, was the difference.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Good summation. Both teams are pretty banged up and Thomas may have stole this one. You do have to give Chara credit though, he played what was probably his best game as a Bruin at both ends of the ice. He was a monster out there.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm gradually getting my oldest son into the NHL. He routinely checks the scores of the MLB, NBA, and NFL; now he's checking the scores of the NHL. During the Boston/Montreal game last night, I told him, whenever you see the 'Montreal Canadiens,' just think Yankees, Lakers, and Cowboys/Dolphins. He easily grasped the analogy, and understood the gravity of hating the Habs.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

On a related note, our eldest daughter, during the NBA finals last year, told me that her two favorite teams in the NBA were the Celtics and the Lakers. I told her, "Not if you want to continue living here they aren't." ;)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

My kind of parent.
Although my son will learn (oh yes he will) that the Stanks and Habs occupy their own special level at the top of the Pyramid o' Sporty Hate.

Last night, they were showing the highlights of the Lakers game and he asked who the blue team was (blue is his favorite color). I was like "PURPLE!!! That's not blue, it's PURPLE!!!"

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
LOL! Nicely done. We can't have his favorite color tarnished. ;)

It's a tough call with me which one sports team I despise the most (from baseball, basketball, football, and hockey). I think I would choose the Yankees first and foremost, with the Canadiens a close second, followed by the Cowboys/Dolphins (a deliberate tie), and then the Lakers.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

That would be my ranking too. Although if we are talking fans, I just can't take Habs fans. It's that "Ole Ole" thing. The best and brightest of the hockey world, a proud French speaking populace, adopting a Spanish soccer chant? WTF is that all about? :crazy:

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
What a comeback from the Pens last night. I admit I turned off the game at a certain point. Apparently Malkin spoke up after the 2nd period (I would have liked to heard that) and that got the fire going again. I know the Pens are a long shot for the playoffs (hard to believe) but I hope they keep the ball rolling...

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator

Bob.

I didn't even watch the game last night on Center Ice. I went to the Pens website to order a shirt to replace a too small Christmas gift and saw the score was 3-1 in the third and thought here we go again...then saw 3-2 and thought it was too little too late.

I too think that the Pens are a long shot to make it and I can't believe it either, but there is plenty of hockey too be played. Malkin can't carry them on his back alone - needs some help to get there. Good news is Gonchar is skating and working out. Hopefully he is back soon since the PP has been such a huge disappointment for them this year. The had a 5-3 for a full two minutes last night and only generated 5 shots. Come on now, get the puck to the net...

Post-Gazette proclaimed this a season saver - I wouldn't go that far, but I hope this is a sign of things to come. Of course, I thought that after they won like 4 of 5 before the All-Star break and then got only 1 of 6 points on the road trip open up the second half.

If they don't make it is Therrien back next year? Hmm...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
What a treat having two NHL games to watch this afternoon. I was thrilled to see both the Red Wings/Penguins and Maple Leafs/Canadiens games on television. It was also nice to see a nationally-televised game (on NBC).

The games were interesting as well, with both road teams winning. I thought the refs were working overtime to keep the Habs/Leafs game under control. Is that the norm for when those two teams meet? I thought that they had such genuine love for one another. ;)

I also watched some of the NBA games and the Pro Bowl. It was quite an afternoon for sports. :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I didn't see the game (I recorded it, but haven't watched it), but the Habs and Leafs series has not been a blood bath for as long as I can remember. There is usually a lot of energy, but not any more rough play than any other two teams. Montreal vs. Quebec, before the Nordiques moved to Denver, was much more nasty.

BTW, I've been to a few Habs - Leafs games in Toronto, and it's amazing how many Canadiens fans are there. It's almost a 50/50 mix. On the subway ride to old Maple Leaf Gardens the cars would be filled with Montreal fans in various Habs garb.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

Yeah, the announcers mentioned this a few times during the game yesterday (about the mix of fans).

Another treat for me was hearing the names of greats of the past (Beliveau, Carbonneau, Jeffrion, et al.). I may not like the Canadiens, but I sure do respect them a heck of a lot. Those were great days -- IMO one of the waves of the glory days of the NHL.

BTW, even though I am a Bruins fan, I've been hoping for many years (nearly forty or so!) that the Maple Leafs would win the Cup again. I don't recall the 1966-67 championship team all that well -- the ghosts of Dave Keon and Jim Pappin notwithstanding ;). The Maple Leafs are secretly my second favorite team.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Actually, mine is, too, but not the Hartford team. ;) The Plymouth Whalers are our local Ontario Hockey League team, and are owned by Carolina Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos -- hence the Whalers nickname.

My wife and I go to about 15 games a year. It's very entertaining hockey for an excellent price, we get to see some future NHL players, and the arena is only about a mile from home.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Habs fans are similar to Yankee fans. They are all over the place, and they multiply easily . . . kind of like fungus. :D

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Tell me about it. I was surprised to see so many Habs fans at the Wachovia Center in Philly. They ended up being louder than the Flyers fans, but that's because the Canadiens came away with the win. Not exactly a pleasant experience, in more ways than one.

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
This is why, in my opinion, the Pens are having issues this year. Lack of understanding that effort does not equal W and 2 points. Someone needs to kick them in the pants and get that across.

Pens lose 3-0 to the Wings on Saturday and here are a few player comments:

From Sykora: "It's another great test [playing San Jose], and I feel like we deserve to win on Wednesday for the effort we had [against Detroit] even though we didn't get the points," Penguins winger Petr Sykora said.

My comments: They haven't even played yet -they don't deserve anything for losing to the Wings - there's no automatic, well we played with a great effort but still got blanked, so the Sharks should just roll over and give us the two points since we did such a good job in the last game.

From Matt Cooke: "We have to play the same way. Just come out with the same attitude, just come out with the same effort, and we're going to be fine."

My comments: How about getting the darn puck in the net. You don't get any points for effort - you get points for outscoring your opponent.

I am pretty ticked off right now with how this season has progressed.

San Jose went into Boston and beat the Bruins 5-2 - that's after being down 2-0 and they put up 3 goals in a 6 minute span. Oh yeah, the Pens last game against the Sharks this year. 11 shots. Not in a period. For the whole stinking game and OT period. They only had 3 shots in each of the periods and got 2 in OT.

10th place in the East guys. Time for a gut check - this we had a good effort crap isn't going to fly any longer.

Good news. Gonchar is cleared to play. Bad News. Still searching for competent wingers for Crosby's line. Nothing against Tyler Kennedy and Pascal Dupuis, but they aren't 1st line wingers.

Let's get it in gear.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
San Jose is the class of the league. Period. Bruins need to find a way to stop that behemoth if they wish a chance at Stanley. No team in the east scares me like the Sharks.

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator

Well, that was a much better outcome last night. Pens picked up 2 critical points in a 2-1 OT/SO win against the Sharks with Crosby scoring the only Shoot Out goal.

Fun game to watch and glad that the Pens showed some signs of life. Still need to improve the PP - had a golden chance in OT but didn't capitalize on it...

Next up. Maple Leafs - Saturday @ Toronto. Will Gonchar play? Sure hope so.

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks