What's new

Hockey Night in Canada - McLean is out!! (1 Viewer)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I support a tax-funded broadcaster in Canada for three reasons: 1. Ron Maclean. 2. Don Cherry. 3. Hockey Night in Canada. The first is gone.
http://cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/2002/09/30/maclean020930
I have little doubt that with Maclean gone, Cherry will follow. I hope other networks carry the Hockey Night in Canada show and then we can rid ourselves of the CBC. This is BS!

Cam S

Screenwriter
Holy, that's somewhat of a shock. I've be VERY surprised if Don Cherry is dropped as well, since he's one of the most recognizable people in Canadian hockey, not too mention his views on hockey are great.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I have little doubt that with Maclean gone, Cherry will follow. I hope other networks carry the Hockey Night in Canada show and then we can rid ourselves of the CBC. This is BS!
Althought it sucks that MacLean might not be back, Cherry has signed on for $700,000 a year already so he'll be there Ron (crotch watcher) MacLean or not.

I'm sure its just some lame negotiating ploy on CBC's part. MacLean does too good a job on too many things to let him just disappear.

Pat

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Cherry just signed a $700,000 a year deal last summer
maclean was offered $400,000 and wanted around $600,000.
I hope CBC comes to their senses

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
sorry, to hear.
I got the benefirs of your tax Dollars while living in Toledo.I wish I could pick it up in California!
USA TV cripples hockey to say the least

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Holy Crap!!

Saturday night's will never be the same. We'll never again see that puzzling look on Cherry's face as he tries to make sense out of MacLean's segment-ending pun.

Jon

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Who are they going to get to replace him, Ralph Benmurgui???

Geez, as far as I'm concerned, Ron IS HNIC. Although, maybe it is time for Scott Russell to take over the reigns.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I support a tax-funded broadcaster in Canada for three reasons: 1. Ron Maclean. 2. Don Cherry. 3. Hockey Night in Canada. The first is gone.
Actually Peter you support the CBC because no one gives you the option of doing otherwise. :)
Please, please, please let it not be Brian Williams. Please.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If only we could rid ourselves of the "time and space" announcers (I think that's mainly Rhudy, but...). Who the hell started that anyway? It plagued all of last season.

I just hope McLean's replacement doesn't suck, eh.

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator
Please, please, please let it not be Brian Williams.
Oh, the humanity. That would be awful.

I say way to go to Ron Maclean for walking away from a deal he didn't feel respected his role on the show. I'm sure we'll be seeing him elsewhere real soon.

As for HNIC, I think this might actually be a good thing. I've felt for a few years now that the show around the actual hockey game has been getting pretty tired, trotting out the same panel of beat reporters and columnists week after week and watching Maclean and Cherry has increasingly become like watching a car wreck on the side of the highway rather than offering any kind of insight into the state of the game.

I don't know how much retooling CBC can do with a week-and-a-half to go to their first broadcast of the season, but it would be nice if they used this opportunity to re-examine they way they present hockey.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
To me, Don Cherry will not be nearly as entertaining without Ron McLean's presence. McLean was the perfect straight man for Cherry. His facial expressions during one of Cherry's rants were priceless!

If CBC thinks Don Cherry can carry HNiC on his own or with a second tier talking head they are sorely mistaken. Cherry is good in small doses, McLean was simply GOOD.

Anyone think a letter writing campaign will help CBC realize the error of their ways?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Ralph Benmurgui???" :frowning:
Hey it seems that Don is the one to push Ron out. I'm sure they have a cap, but I'd never have guessed that Ron got $400gs WOW!
Brent

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
$400,000 Canadian....isn't that about $29.65 US now?
It was always about $1 to $1 when I lived by the border

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
It has been an open secret for years that many of the cultural elite at CBC don't like HNIC; and like the Cherry/Maclean duo even less. These are same left-wing wackos that drvie the political agenda in regards to the CRTC; under the guise of protecting Canadian culture. Hockey, and all that the sport implies is seen by some in high places as consuming too much of the CBC's reduced resources and there are those among the CBC brass that would like to see it gone.

Reading between the lines, this sounds like an opening salvo. Dumping Cherry would certainly have evoked an overwhelming response from the Canadian public. Maclean will prompt an outcry no doubt, but perhaps one the CBC can handle.

What the CBC fails to understand is that HNIC is perhaps the only program of merit the CBC has outside of the National with Peter Mansbridge. Public support for the CBC will erode even further if HNIC is imperiled. If baseball is America's past-time, hockey is Canada's obsession. HNIC is the one single insitution and cultural icon that gives that obsession a face. Maclean is its greatest ambassador.

Perhaps its a good thing that Cherry has such a huge ego that he would not likely quit. He loves to listen to himself and knows how to play to the audience. But without Maclean he is a lesser showman, to be sure. Perhaps that is what the CBC is hoping for.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I saw a documentery on the CBC(??) tower and it only gained favor in Canada when they said the TV antenna would give better hockey reception

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Well, since there was big public outcry with over 3500 emails and 400 phone calls and even the main sponsor, Labatt's, complaining about his departure, the two sides are getting back together today.

Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks