Hmmmmm.... 6.1 surround

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Yeatts, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I picked up an Onkyo TX SR600 tonight at the Crutchfield outlet in Charlottesville, VA. I have not completed the install yet, but I have been contemplating the following. I have noticed that people have been able to localize the rear channel in 6.1 surround.

It has been suggested that maybe 6.1 surround rear channel may be less localizable if you use 2 speakers on the rear wall in series (because in parallel the impedance would be too low.

I a have another suggestion. Use 2 speakers wired in series. Have the speaker wired out of phase. Think about it. Speakers wired out of phase are less localizable. With the speakers out of phase, would not the speakers be even less localizble. I will try this tomorrow or the Sunday. We will see how it sounds.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

3. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Dumb question, what's the difference between wired in series and wired parallel? Is it the way the speakers are wired?

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Let's see if I can explain parallel vs series without a picture! [​IMG]
    Right: how 2 speakers are wired to the output of 1 amp channel.
    In parallel, both of the speakers + line go together to the + line output of the amp. The - speaker lines go together to the - amp output. (Red to red, black to black.)
    In series, the + line comes out of the amp and goes to the + line of the 1st speaker. Then you take the - line out of that speaker to the + line of the 2nd speaker. Then you take the - line out of the 2nd speaker back to the - line of the amp. That's "in phase."
    If you reversed the 2 lines on the 2nd speaker, that would be out of phase.
    In the parallel case, both speakers "present" the same voltage drop to the amp. But the current "requested" is doubled. If the speakers "draw" too much current from the amp, voila, you either have the amp's circuit breaker shut it down, or, you have a fried output stage.
    In the series case, both speakers have 1/2 the original voltage drop (but which adds up to be the same to the amp), but the current that each speaker "requests" is the same as if there was only 1 speaker there.

5. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Thanks Kevin, I totally understand what your saying. Even without a picture [​IMG] . One more question. I have a Denon 2802 with 2 ch. amp on the front lr. Could I run 2 klipsch synergy bookshelves without any problems until I get a 5 ch. amp?