What's new

Hmmmm, My Test Tone On Receiver (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
When I do the test tone on my reicever, it won't let me change the db's on the fronts? Is there a reason why? Does no receiver let you!? I can change the center and rears but not the fronts...:angry:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
All receivers are like this, Abel. You’re supposed to match the center and rears to the front mains, not the reverse.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Andrew V

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne: Not all receivers have settings like this. On my Denon 3802, I can set all of the Speakers independently.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Kenwood also allows settings for all speakers....what brand receiver do you own?

I thought I heard Yamahas didn't allow individual speaker settings for the mains (not sure if it's all Yamaha models or not), just wondering if there are others like this.

Vin

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
AbelM,

With the Yam you will need to think about a circle around

the best seat in your HT that passes through the main

speakers. Then:

1) With a SLP meter (in the seat) adjust the R/L balance

for the main speakers.

2) If the center speaker ends up inside the circle, adjust

the center speaker delay (1 millisecond/foot).

3) Set the center speaker level to match the main speaker

levels.

4) If the rears are inside the circle, add delay.

5) Adjust the rears (level) to about the same or a little less than the mains.

JRS

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Vin,

My old RCA (1999) does have individual level controls for mains,

My newer (2001) Yam HTR-5280 does not. However, the Yam is

easier to set up.

JRS

Tony F

Auditioning
Two reasons for setting speaker levels.

One, to balance the channels.

Two, to set the overall sound level to the reference level intended by the filmmaker.

Since your receiver doesn't allow adjustment of the main (front) speakers, I'd recommend doing the following:

Obtain a Video Essentials or Avia DVD, which contain audio and video setup/adjustment instructions and test signals/images.

Obtain a sound meter. Radio Shack sells them cheap and they work fine. (if your real oparticular, there are calibration curves available to relate what the Radio Shack SPL Meter indicates vs. true SPL.)

Using the speaker adjustment sections of the DVD, adjust your receivers volume control so that the indicated SPL is 75 db. Take note of the volume setting. For the rest of the speakers, adjust their volume via your recievers speaker adjustment menu.

When your done, all speakers will be balanced and when you play DVD's using the volume setting which gave you 75 db on your main speakers, the loudness you here will be what the filmaker intended you to hear.

You could do all the above using your receivers test tones instead of one of the DVDs I mentioned, but I've found that the absolute volume levels from test tones played on DVD does not always match what the receiver generates internally. Since you will be listening (critically) to movies on DVD, tha tis the level you should calibrate to.

The only real problem with your receiver not allowing you to adjust your front speaker volumes independently is that sometimes the left and right loudness levels do not match. This can occur, for example, due to different distances to the side walls, and a corresponding difference in the reflected sound level. If your left and right speaker levels match, then your OK!

BTW, my several Marantz Receiver's all allowed independent Front L and R level adjustments.

T Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks