What's new

Hmmm...SUV's calling my name! (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Good recomendations on the Subbies. I read that they are third in overall product line quality just behind Honda and Toyota (which despite recent Honda transmission problems, and Toyota's oil sludge that everyone who has been to a car forum in the last year has to have heard about) are still leaps and bounds above the rest in overall quality and consistancy of quality.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I got a lot of searching and testing to do:crazy: But thats the fun part. The Suv has to be able to hold my tools. And maybe a sub or two:) My problem is I research things to death. To the point where I talk myself out of buying. I promised myself I would not do that this time

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Take it for what its worth. I'd get a Honda or a Toyota and never look back.
now for the obligatory "my friend has a toyota.."

actually my roommate has a paseo (tercel platform) and it's being a problem child, seems to consume 2 quarts of oil a month out of a 3 qt. sump, small problem there. Oh well. As earlier stated I'm a big toyota fan (and the only one in my family without a toyota in the garage)proof that every factory has an off day or three.

though the 2 wranglers I kept long enough both needed an engine rebuild and had trans problems by 60k miles (the old 4.2 or 4.3 litre inline 6, not the new 4.0 HO, I've heard that's a much better engine, to chryslers defense.)

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Actually I have a toyota camry right now with 322 000km on it. That would be about 250 000miles or somewhere abouts. It is now starting to cost me money to fix and I find it is losing power. I bought it for $700 and had it for 3yrs so it doesn't owe me anything.

My fiancee really wants an SUV since we went to look at the jeep grand cherokee. I actaully just talked to a guy that has over 400 000km on his and it still going so go figure

AviTevet

Stunt Coordinator
Get the Subaru!!! Foresters & Outbacks rule :). Or you could get a WRX wagon and zip around like nobody's business.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
My 1996 JGC just turned over 100k on the 4.0. Kind of a dog, but good enough.

The wife gets 15 MPG, I get 20. Go figure.

I'd buy another, but probably won't. Maybe a wagon...Jetta?

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I'll add my vote for the Subaru. I used to have an 86 GL Wagon with 4WD and that thing ran, and ran, and ran, and ran.

And it could shred in the worst weather conditions.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Ahh..an SUV...had a Honda Passport (rebadge Isuzu Rodeo)...loved it..then had a kid...went to a Dodge Caravan 5 years running.
And now...a few weeks ago put a deposit for a spanking new Honda Pilot! Yipee!!!!!

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,
I purchased a Pilot 2 weeks ago. EX-L with rear DVD. It is awesome. I love it. The DVD keeps the kids quiet and the third row seat comes in handy. Trade a 2000 4Runner Ltd. in on it. I don't miss the 4Runner at all!!! Check out
www.honda-pilot.org for good info.

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a car but the last 2 vehicles i had were SUV's. A 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2000 Toyota 4 Runner. No questions the Toyota was a higher quality vehicle that was screwed together more carefully but it had a jittery on pavement ride and was lacking in amenities that a nice sedan would have. I enjoyed the jeep more - especially the ride and the room in the vehicle. i had some concerns about the car so i didnt purchase it when the lease was up but only had some suspension problems and broke rotors warp in the 45K miles i owned it. If i was interested in a SUV i would go for a small one like the Honda CRV - it has an amazing amount or room inside and gets 28 mpg and should cost a lot less to maintain.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
My main concern with anything used I buy is it breaking down 3 months later. I've also been looking at the volkswagon jetta. Though if I can find a good deal I'll go with a suv with four wheel drive. The leather interior, climate control and in the jeep was very nice;)

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
If reliability is a concern, wait no more and get a Forester or other Subaru! Great milage, great AWD, insanely great reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks