Hmm. Do you think this is a good price for an Adire Alignment Tempest box?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Javier_Huerta, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

I finally got someone to build my box for me [​IMG]

It'll be made of 1" MDF, except for the baffle (2" MDF), laminated with triplay and a mahogany finish.

Assembled, the carpenter is asking for $190 USD. [​IMG] Isn't this a bit... expensive?

We haggled for a bit, I got it down from $240 to $190. I'm still unsure whether I should have tried to get it down a bit more in pricing...

Opinions? The guy surely seems to know what he's doing...

2. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

That is a terribly low price. I'd question the quality of the work for that price. I'd charge no less than $350 and probably closer to $450 for an Adire Alignment vented enclosure with finish.

Darren

3. Javier_Huerta

Whoa...

You have to consider I live in México... so skilled carpenters usually charge less. I never expected so much less, though!

4. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Yes, I was going to follow up with the fact that I have no idea what common skilled labor rates are in Mexico.

The materials for an enclosure such as this would be something like the following:

mahogany veneer: $50.00
    1" MDF: $40.00
    2 - 3" Ports: $40.00
    Mounting hardware: $10.00
    Labor: ???

So without labor a fair value of just parts retail is $140.00 here in Seattle. That's just for the enclosure parts.

5. Javier_Huerta

Hmm. I get it! Thing is, I already have the ports and the mounting hardware, plus wood seems to be a bit cheaper around here (He quoted around $80 for parts).

That, plus cheaper labor, I guess, amounts for the difference. I just gave him a call and told him to go ahead - all he asked for is for me to pick up the thing!

Two more weeks and I'm all set... thanks a lot!