What's new

HKL Police Story 2 Review (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I didn't see this mentioned here so here is a link to a review by Matt Stevens.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/policestory2.htm
There is a controversy brewing over the aspect ratio. The image seems to be cropped up to 20% but HKL says it shouldn't be any more than 2% due to the damaged film source. The review will be updated when HKL replies to Matt.
This leads to a very interesting question. What happens when the best version of a movie just isn't good enough? In most cases, you could just wait until a proper release is done. In the case of these Hong Kong Films, a lot of effort is put into producing what we get from HKL. It's not so easy for them to just go ahead and make a new version. While miles ahead of any import and most domestic releases, HKL still isn't always perfect. The aspect ratio of HKL's MAGNIFICENT WARRIRORS has been also put into question. Also POLICE STORY is ever so slightly slightly "squashed". MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER also has this problem.
Matt

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think HKL do the best that can be done by a relatively small-budget company. Sometimes compromises have to be made, but unless you are totally anal-retentive over these things, then they're usually bearable.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I just hate the fact that they go through this whole restoration process to botch the transfer itself. Besides, isn't "ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO" important? If the sides were lopped off much more popular movies, people would be up in arms.

HKL does a good job but they aren't perfect. How could they improve if somebody doesn't tell them what's wrong? I think they could at least be honest when compromises are made and let people know. This is just as bad as Columbia and the DRUNKEN MASTER DVD. Sometimes a little note that says, "Hey, this is the best we could" on a DVD could spare a lot of people from sounding "anal retentive".

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks