HKDVD Review: SHAOLIN SOCCER

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by YANG, Oct 4, 2001.

1. YANG

YANG Second Unit

TITLE: SHAOLIN SOCCER
    ==============
    DIRECTOR: STEPHEN CHOW SING CHI
    Stars: STEPHEN CHOW(FIGHT BACK TO SCHOOL series,ROYAL TRAMP 1&2),ZHAO WEI,NG MAN TAT
    DIGITAL EFFECTS STUDIO: CENTRO DIGITAL PICTURES(A MAN CALLED HERO,STORM RIDERS)
    PRODUCTION STUDIO: STAR OVERSEAS HONGKONG
    DVD RELEASE STUDIO: UNIVERSE LASER HK
    DVD CATALOGUE NUMBER: DTS 5752
    MOVIE GENERE: SPORTS ACTION, MARTIAL ARTS ACTION, COMEDY
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Singapore rating: PG
    Possible MPAA rating: R(for martial arts action,language,sexual references)
    Widescreen ratio: NON ANAMORPHIC 1.7:1 approx.
    Language: CANTONESE DTS5.1,CANTONESE DD5.1,CANTONESE STEREO SURR.,MANDARIN DD5.1
    Subtitles: ENGLISH,MANDARIN,CANTONESE
    DVD format: SINGLE SIDED DUAL LAYER(DVD9)
    Regional coding: 0 (multi region,all machine compatible)
    Picture format: NTSC 3.58-COLOR
    Synopsis(from the cover):
    In a fight against the gangsters, Sing(STEPHEN CHOW) who is watched by a previous soccer star FUNG(NG MANG TAT) fights his way out show his powerful martial arts kicking skills.SING is persuaded to form a soccer team together with his fellow SHAOLIN comrades for the NATIONAL SOCCER TOURNAMENT.With FUNG as their coach,SING and his teammates' talents for KUNGFU are unleashed in the soccer field...
    Disc review:
    This is the disc that i had been waiting for.Even if the release do not come with a DTS5.1 track,i will still wanna get my hands on it.This is a hilarious comedy that most viewers will not wanna miss.
    This is also a first release from UNIVERSE LASER that comes with both the theatrical cut and extended edition of the film.
    Picture quality is acceptable,as with other HONGKONG DVD releases which picture qualities are not so comparable to major HOLLYWOOD movie releases,in terms of sharpness and natural flesh tones.Color is vivid,natural with other objects.
    For a comedy,audio quality of this film outshines other films of this genere.Directional effects,bass extension,dialogue clarity is all good,but not top notch.Although the release comes with both DTS and DD 5.1 surround sound,there isn't really much big difference except for the bass quality.DTS wins by a minor step.
    The release comes with both DTS and DD 5.1 surround,but that doesn't mean that there is no extras at all.Extras that comes with this release are:
    * SPECIAL EFFECTS OVERVIEW
    * MAKING OF...
    * THEATRICAL TRAILER
    UNIVERSE LASER had done it right with this release,i do not have to pass out DTS stream to an external decoder for DTS decoding,my player now manage to decode DTS correctly.(Previously,the DTS track of ACCIDENTAL SPY and TAXI 2 will need an external decoder to get a 5.1 surround presentation)
    Originally,during the theatrical presentation,the film looks very grainy(Possibly for the purpose to cover the edgy effects of CGI).But not this time in hometheater presentation.The effects looks very natural and impressive,and i guess this is why the film quality looks softer.This adds a point to picture score.
    Picture score: 4/5
    DTS5.1 surround score: 3/4
    DD5.1 surround score: 7/10
    DVD score: 4/5
    Value score: 9/10
    Collectible score: 5/5
    Laugh scale: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] / [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] / [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] / be careful not to bite yuor tongue accidentally
    [Edited last by YANG on October 04, 2001 at 11:28 AM]
    [Edited last by YANG on October 04, 2001 at 11:57 AM]

2. YANG

YANG Second Unit