What's new

HKAVR120: What speakers will go good with this? It's only 40W X 5, but high current! (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
This thing pumps 40W X 5 but it sounds loud because they are using some high current output. What speakers should I replace first in my setup? I had a philips speakers package that came with a home theater in box, the subwoofer is alright but I think the speakers are crap with anything but the philips receiver (they are able to handle 100W each).

How are the Klipsch QUINTETS? What about the Energy Take 5 speakers I hear about? My room is small (12 X 12) if that helps.

I'm only looking to replace either my center or my FRONT L and FRONT R speakers, and my budget is $200. People may not like it here, but I saw many Klipsch Quintets (which I've read compete with energy take 5 but I have no clue), for very cheap on ubid.com ending at around $50-60 a speaker.

Any comments are appreciated - thanks,

ELmO

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard either speaker, but I have the AVR110, 40 x 5 and I run NHT's, which are power hungry. I get all the volume I need in about 13x28 and the sound is good for me.

The Klipsch's and Energy's use different tweeter setups. I wonder how different they will sound. Any dealers in your area?

Good Luck!

- CM

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I do have one local audio store in the area that I can listen to different speakers with, otherwise I only have best buy/circuit city.

What are the wattage marks on those NHT speakers you have?

Do you also notice that the receiver's (at least in AVR120's case) volume sounds much lower when in Dolby Digital mode, compared to DTS? Not much of a problem though.

Right now I just have these 100W philips speakers (for FrontL/R and surround) and a philips center speaker. I would like anyone to help me out on some good speakers for this HK AVR120 (40W X 5) output, otherwise I have no idea at all what is even a good speaker to try. I'm almost even looking at the harman kardon made speakers, just because I'd think they must sound at least decent since I have an HK receiver- but I'm on a last ditch effort for help before I go into my local audio store.

Thanks,

ELmO

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Electronics mfr's speakers are marketed to keep people loyal to the brand, and are not usually the best choice. Not to say that some are not good, since I have a Yamaha center and it is truly a nice speaker.

My NHT's are rated for a minimum of 20w, max of 150 for the 'One, 15w min - 100w max for the zero.

My DVD won't pass DTS, it was built before it was a major player in the market, so I can't compare.

When you look around at speakers, think about how you will use them. Higher efficency will play loyder with the same power if that's important to you. Silk tweeters will sound softer and more subdued while metal domes will be bright and clear.

I like my NHT's, but I have a hard time really recommending them to people because most of the time they jack Dr. Dre through them, and that's not the best material for them to sound their best. I listen to loud rock occasionally, but most of the time it's between 70 - 80 db and I listen for accuracy and detail, soundstage and presence.

Impact is for movies, and the sub helps out there. 105 db is no problem.

Personal preference is the biggest factor in speakers, but I know the Klipsches are good speakers, and are very efficient. Look at Paradigm, NHT, Energy, Home Theater Direct, Axiom, JBL, Polk, Boston, anything you can and don't spend your money until you are sure.

Or if you can return it, even better. Try them at home.

- CM

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
OK Thanks for the great help, I think I'll just get some new bookshelf speakers for $250-300 or a new center for $250. I hope I didn't make a wrong choice in choosing a receiver with only 40W, it seems loud enough - but I just think the speakers I have right now suck and that's the reason it's not what I think it should be. My room is small too so it's not like I have to pump up the volume to get it very loud, just philips speakers are terrible. I don't want to make a wrong move when upgrading speakers.

Also do you use your remote for macro programming?I can't seem to switch to an input on the receiver within a macro, if I press DVD (to switch to the DVd input on the receiver) it wil instead control the DVD player and not switch to the input on the receiver - it only does that if I'm using a macro. That means all I can do is turn the AVR on in a macro and not switch to any inputs (really stupid), unless there is some way around that - I think that's really dumb - the macro doesn't even help much then.

Thanks for the help,

ELmO

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I don't use macros. I just punch the buttons I need, and I deal with it. It's never been a big deal to me to have a macro shooting codes all over the place. If I want to play a DVD, it's *TV ON* (AVR also turns on) *DVD ON* (AVR switches to DVD mode, DVD turns on) and off I go.
Macro Schmacro. ;)
40 x 5 will be plenty, trust me.
After you get your front speakers, think about that sub.
Good Luck!
- CM

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks