HK635 and Zone Two functionality

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Colin Runner, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Colin Runner

Colin Runner Agent

Hey, I'm building my first real system (non-HTIB) and I need some help.

I want to put some nice speakers that can be used for music and HT, maybe some maggies or other nicer speakers, but I also need a pair of cheap in-walls to deliver stereo sound for when I'm watching TV. I will be using a projector and a screen.

How can I set up a receiver, probably the Harman Kardon AVR635, to switch between 5.1 sound and stereo sound? I don't want to be running TV garbage through the nice speakers. The 635 has channels, can the back two be used as separate "zone two" speakers? How feasible is it to set my system up this way?

If the 635 can't do this, what other receivers should be on my short list for less than $500 USD?

Please help me sort out my situation before I make a mistake!

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I don't claim to have extensive knowledge on the Harman Kardon recievers, But in most cases the Zone two operation allows you to listen to two programs at once generally in two seperate rooms. The limitations of using it include: surround capabilities will be disabled (so two sets of stereo operation), more than likely the zone two will not be able to access any digital input only analog (though it sounds like you won't need that any way.

If you don't mind my asking why do you not want the Broadcast television sound to come from your other speakers?

Seth=L

3. Colin Runner

Colin Runner Agent

I was just wondering how much wear and tear it will add to planar or electrostatic speakers. I also hear that the sound isn't very good with bad sources anyway, so even if I use the nice speakers it might still sound worse than the Radioshack speakers. Am I doing more work than it's worth?

I think that I'll use some Magnepan MMG Ws and a MMGC for the 5.1 system, so is it worth rigging up some in-walls for stereo sound for broadcast TV? I don't watch a lot of TV anyway, mostly movies and music.

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

If you were going to get martin logans then yeah I might by an extra set but the magnapans should be fine as far as worry of damage. with The martin logans i would worry about arching that could just be me being paranoid but hey Who Knows. If you don't watch tv often then I would say get the magnapans and forget the radio shack. It seems almost senseless to by crap when you have good stuff (speaking from my own experiances because i am king of the senselessness).

Also do you know if the receiver you are getting has preouts for all channels?

Seth=L

5. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

ummmm, bad sound quality from the source won't damage your speakers......the speakers might just make the bad quality more apparent!