HK630 receiver setup, need a little help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PhillJones, Sep 2, 2004.

1. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

I'm trying to get my HK630 receiver set up just right and am having some trouble with the subwoofer settings.

I don't have a sub and so I set the option in the speaker setup menu to sub:none. However, when I use Avia to send test tones to each speaker in turn, I don't hear anything when the sub should sound.

I ought to hear the low frequencies coming out of my front speakers but nothing. The receiver isn't re-routing the LFE channel to the fronts.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Phill

2. Greg.R

Greg.R Extra

The LFE channel is only meant to be played through a sub, I'm not personally aware of recievers that will let you route it through your mains - I've read through my AVR330's manual and I haven't seen anything about it being possible.

As long as your fronts are set to large, you'll still be getting enough bass information.

3. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

I'm basing my thought that this should happen on.

1) My old yamaha that I had back in England did this.
    2) Avia says it should.
    3) Page 24 of the manuel, bottom right.

I still have the Denon at home that I was testing it against. I'll check to see if that'll do it.

4. Chris_Liberti

Chris_Liberti Stunt Coordinator

Most reroute bass from the mains to the LFE when the mains are set to small but I have never heard of any receiver that routes the LFE channel to the mains in any situation and I have been in this game since before dolby pro logic even when it was called Dolby Stereo and was only a 4 channel setup.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Umm, at least with the receivers I have dealt with over the years (Dolby Pro-Logic included), when the "NO SUB" option is chosen the LFE channel most definitely is rerouted to the front mains. This includes my own receiver, a 2001 model Technics SA-DA8. AFAIK this is a requirement mandated by Dolby Laboratories and Digital Theater Systems, Inc. (DTS). Because for a surround system all you really need is two front & two rear channels.

If the LFE channel was not rerouted, then on many movies and surround music titles the listener would be deprived of most--if not all--of the bass effects.

Unfortunately I continue to run into this misconception over & over with audio sales people, who mistakenly advise their customers that subwoofers are mandatory, when they are not. They are also surprised that the center channel can also be downmixed into the front mains. And at least on my own receiver, the rear channels can also be downmixed into the fronts (sounds quite strange too!).

Phil: I have used an H/K 630 quite a bit and when it was set to "sub:none" it did reroute the LFE bass to the front mains. As far what that calibration disc is doing......who knows?

6. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

Thanks Lance,

Is there any other way to test if the LFE is being re-routed to the mains?

I would have thought that if the calibration disk is sending a low frequency hum to the LFE channel and my settings are set to sub none, I should hear it.

It didn't work on the Denon either.

This is a bit confusing.

7. Vishal Shah

Vishal Shah Extra

Phill,

I didn't see it anywhere in the thread, so I'll ask what may be a stupid question. You set your sub to NO, but did you set your fronts to LARGE? If not, then you would be getting no LFE information.

-Vishal

8. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

I did set my fronts to large.

It's not a dumb question. It's a good suggestion and it's appreciated. If I have got some setting wrong, it'll be something simple like that. If you or anybody else has any other suggestions, I'm all eyes.

Cheers,
    Phill

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Phill, this is a long shot but what size of speakers are you using for your front mains? If they are small enough they won't be able to audibly reproduce that LFE signal (though you might see the woofer cones moving), leading one to believe something isn't working correctly.

BTW: how is your dvd player hooked up to the receiver: digital? 5.1 analog?

10. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

My speakers are Tannoy M3 floorstanders.

I'm using the coaxial digital connection. The receiver recognizes Dolby Digital when playing the test disk, because it says so on the front display. It also tells me that it's getting an LFE signal because the LFE icon lights up on the receiver. It also knows that it doesn't have a sub because it doesn't have the little square border arround the icon.

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Dang it! [​IMG] Now I'm pretty much out of ideas.

The AVR630 is extremely sophisticated & full of customizable features. Whenever I got myself into a hole with it, I used the RESET function to return it to its factory settings. Maybe doing that would help?

Or, it's just plain broke.

12. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

Thanks anyway. Maybe I'll give HK a ring