HK520 & Using older receiver as 2nd amp only?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roscoe, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Roscoe

Roscoe Auditioning

I've got my eye on the HK 520, but I need to drive speakers in another room and I would need a second amplifier to do so.

I have a HK880vxi 2 channel receiver. It does not have main amp inputs - but it does have in and out jacks for an external processor(surround, eq, etc.). Could I get away with plugging the multiroom preamp output from the 520 into the external processor input on the receiver thereby using it as a stand alone amp?

2. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Why not plug into the Aux input on the 880 from the multiroom preamp on the 520?

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Sounds good to me.[​IMG]

4. Roscoe

Roscoe Auditioning

I thought about plugging into the aux input, but I hate to send an audio signal through something that it doesn't need to go through (eg. a second preamp). The external processor output is switched on the front of the unit - press the button without anything hooked up and you get silence. My thinking was that this output/input was probably the signals last stop before the amplifier as any processing would probably be in line between preamp & amp, no?

I also don't know if plugging the preamp into the aux jack would work - what's the difference between the signal from a preamp and the signal from, say, a cd player?

5. Paul Clarke

Roscoe,

Either way will work. You won't know about signal purity until you try and compare. I'm unfamiliar with that H/K 2 channel Model but it sounds interesting.

6. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Re: Sending through a second preamp

This might not be bad. You can then adjust the sound to the second room's acoustics, speaker limitations, etc. That room would require an entirely different set of adjustments.

Just thinking... Not a frequent habit or necessity for me.

7. Paul Clarke

See what happens when you do start thinking?[​IMG]
    Great post on the 520 volume level, BTW.[​IMG]